Friday, August 25, 2017

Advice for blackberry-pickers

Bramble bushes are very protective of their fruit. They don't want you to take any and they will fight you to the death. You know the gear bee-keepers wear? If you can get hold of a suit like that it would be ideal.

At sixty-four years of age you'd think I would have learned not to wear shorts when blackberrying. 'Oh, it'll be fine,' I say as I head out as unprotected as a new-born. Then as I do battle with the brambles I scold myself and George - for not reminding me.

At least this year I did wear socks and shoes which is an improvement on previous years. And I only fell down one hole.

But the satisfaction of getting food for nothing is worth the pain. But, oh the grief, of seeing those big fat juicy ones j-u-s-t out of reach.
advice for blackberry pickers
From the bush ...

to the plate. Blackberry crumble loaf cake.

5 comments:

Sharon said...

Those look scrumptious! I want some blackberry cake now. Mmm. Around here blackberry picking advise includes a boombox to put on the ground and warn the snakes away!

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

We're not advised to eat them here ... something to do with widdly foxes ... but looking at your cake , I'm very tempted .

Beside a babbling brook... said...

Delicious look ing cake!!!!!

Liz Hinds said...

Oh my, I am glad i don't have to watch out for snakes, Sharon!

I only pick berries from the branches dogs/foxes can't widdle on, Sonata!

THank you, Luna, it is very delicious i have to say.

PipeTobacco said...

Oh, man! That cake..... Looks unbelievably good!!!!!

PipeTobacco