Sunday, August 27, 2017

A few quick book reviews

Not really reviews. For some reason I struggle to write reviews. I can mostly say if I like a book or not without really knowing why.

rush oh, whale fishing in twentieth century Australia
Rush Oh by Shirley Barratt
A story about killer whales who help whale fishers to catch whales. Yes, that does sound confusing but it works. Set in New South Wales in 1908 it's narrated by the eldest daughter of the fishing family and it's funny and violent and harsh and romantic. Highly recommended. ****

The Trouble with Goats and Sheep by Joanna Cannon
A woman disappears and two ten-year-old girls on the estate decide to find out what's happened to her. I got to the end of this book and very nearly did something I've never done before: start again from the beginning. I reached the end not really knowing what had happened or understanding the conclusion. There were a lot of characters and I struggled to remember which one was married to which etc. But I do read last thing at night so that's my excuse. I'd still give it ***

Larry and the Dog People by J Henderson
A widower, Larry, gets a dog and through him makes a whole new circle of friends. No, that makes it sounds like a cosy holiday read and that's not what it is. Larry talks too much and bores people until one of his new friends takes him in hand. The book is as much about the quirky characters who befriend him as it is about Larry, who incidentally ends up being mistaken for a revolutionary and being accused of conspiracy and murder. Up until the last two chapters I was really enjoying it. It should have finished then. ***


All the books I 'review' are at least three stars as I don't bother mentioning the others I finished but didn't really enjoy or the ones I just gave up on. The wonderful freedom of age that allows me to give up on a book if it's not enthralling or puzzling.

5 comments:

Ole Phat Stu said...

Glad you read a lot.
Our local paper asked people on the street what they were reading or had recently read and 2/3 couldn't answer! :-(

But(t) they knew who Kim Kardashian was :-(

Liz Hinds said...

I know people who don't have books in their homes, stu. It just stuns me.

Sharon said...

I am also one who can say if they liked a book or not, but a review, that's not so easy. (Not good at synopsis, either, I rather dislike doing that.)

Beside a babbling brook... said...

Oh same here! If I want to give up, on a book, I give up!!!!! :-)

I used to do a book blog, where I named and gave a little review, of all the books I read. Like so many things, that went by the wayside. -grin- But I kept a printed out list of 3 years worth. Which makes a good reference, to see if I want to re-read a favorite. Or if a fav. author, has written something new...

Since we got Netflix, I admit, I have fallen off reading. Although I do get free or 99cent books, for Kindle, sometimes. Once in a while, I hit a really good one, that way. Imagine that?!?

Reading one now, off and on, and it is quite great. Hope the author has written more.

Thank you for suggestions!!! I always love suggestions!!!

Luna Crone

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

I tried Goats and Sheep on Audible ... I gave up after a while , completely unable to work out who was who . The idea was better than the result .