Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Is Put in?

So there is to be a general election. The conservatives are riding high in the polls and are likely to win, which can only mean things are going to get worse.

And with education being one of the services to suffer we'll no doubt see more of the 'In Constant Use' signs in front of drives when they quite clearly are not in constant use. Frequent use, regular use, occasional use, yes, but not constant. Forgive me. One of my little foibles.

The NHS, which is under pressure now, will struggle even more with four years of Tory rule especially if they have a clear majority, so perhaps when I go to see the consultant tomorrow, if they offer me an operation, I should take it before waiting list times get even longer. Oh dear.

At 5.30 am I could think of a whole host of things that I urgently needed to do today but by the time I got up, after tossing and turning for two hours, I'd forgotten them all. 

I'm sorry, this post is very gloomy. I won't publish it just yet. I shall wait to see if I can think of something more cheerful. Oh I know!

Yesterday on the radio I heard part of a TED talk. Apparently back in the first half of the 20th century a psychiatrist did experiments on human brains studying the effect that electric currents had on different lobes. Nowadays they're not allowed to experiment on people so this particualr scientist is doing similar tests on the brains of drosophila. Do you know what drosophila are? I do but only because we studied genetics in school using them. They are fruit flies. Have you seena fruit fly? Can you imagine how small its brain is? 

Yet scientists are applying electricity to specific parts (?) and then, wait for it, checking to see if it affects the emotions. Of a fruit fly.

I think this scientist might have been exaggerating slightly because when quizzed it turned out that what they do is blow at them. 'Puff' 'And the more we puff at them the more agitated they seem to become. Like wasps when you try to swat them.'

Then he tried to say that in 50 years time they'll be able to apply electricity to certain parts of teh brain using a pill.

Either these people are extraordinarily clever or I am extraordinarily dumb.

And then there was the researcher - who presumably got paid money - who found out that shoe laces come loose because of the movement of the shoe. Now, who'd have thought it?

Finally my take on an old - but my favourite - joke.
What a beautiful day, the sort of day that makes you want to go and knock on the door of the Kremlin and ask, 'Is Put in?'

Okay, perhaps not as good as Ken Dodd's Lenin but I was pleased with myself.

5 comments:

Sharon said...

Goodness, what do you need surgery on? I hope it's nothing drastic. :-(
Fruit flies? How come the government can waste money on that?
Good favorite joke!

Liz Hinds said...

Funding seems to be available for all sorts of strange research, SJ. I often think I should propose research into the benefits of eating chocolate daily. I wouldn't need much money, just enough ...
I have a lump - probably cyst - in a fallopian tube.

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

I can't bear it .
Not the joke , that's funny ... no , the thought of T. May getting her claws any further into health , the welfare services , education , libraries ... it'll all have vanished in four years time .
As it is , my grandsons' school is already giving any lunch leftovers to some families to take home for supper , so that they don't go to bed hungry .

Liz Hinds said...

Sonata, it's too horrifying to contemplate but I don't know how we can stop it.

nick said...

I read that ECT is becoming fashionable again. And there was I thinking it had been solidly rubbished decades ago as destructive and having serious side effects like memory loss.

A romping Tory victory doesn't bear thinking about. It'll mean the accelerated decline of public services and all that implies for the old and sick and disabled and vulnerable.