Wednesday, March 15, 2017

When is a trowel a dangerous weapon?

So, I'm sitting at the back in Zac's and one of our regularish friends comes in. He can be erratic in his behaviour so the fact that he is wielding a very large trowel is slightly concerning.

He sits opposite me and explains that his dad taught him how to use a trowel when he was a boy. All the same, this is a very large trowel (of the cement spreading rather than digging kind) and, more importantly, a potential weapon.

Oh dear, should I ask him to let me look after it until the bible study has finished? He's in a good mood but that could change suddenly if he feels offended. I can't catch the eye of any of the God Squad lot to signal - although what I would signal is anybody's guess - I'd probably look as if I am doing the actions to Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star - so I look around: is there anybody here with whom he might pick a fight? One possibly but he'd been off the drink for a few weeks and is sober and cheerful so unlikely. 

Of course there's always the possibility that trowel-man's mood could change or something could be said to upset him. But on the whole I figure it'll be okay. Which just leaves the question: why is he carrying a trowel?



5 comments:

Rose said...

Perhaps he thinks the walls at Zac's need some work:) I thought at first you were going to talk about the digging kind of trowel--that can be a dangerous weapon in my hands, usually to myself.

Sharon said...

He sounds a little odd, I hope you didn't exchange numbers.

Liz Hinds said...

Actually, Rose, I should have added that he 'found' it outside, just where there's work being done.

Odd isn't the term the professionals use, SJ!

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

He's a Freemason ?

Liz Hinds said...

I doubt if even the freemasons would have him, sonata!