Wednesday, November 06, 2013

The pox

I shouldn't be here. 

I should be in Devon but the grandbabies have chickenpox. GrandSon2 is spotty at the moment but GrandDaughter has the early symptoms. (As does Son-in-law who has googled it and thinks he has shingles and will die.)

I would love to be there to help look after grumpy children - no, really I would - but I had chickenpox as a child and then again when my children were little. (Yes, I know you're only supposed to be able to get it once; maybe I'm susceptible to it.) I definitely don't want it again or shingles so we're staying away I'm afraid until all is well. What a bad granny I must be!

* * * * * * * 

On Monday Husband phoned me in work to find out how to work the washing machine. Thirty-five years of marriage has spoiled him.

8 comments:

Leslie: said...

Maybe because you can't be there for the grandchildren, you could hire a sitter for an evening so Daughter and Son-in-law can get out of the house for a nice meal. Just thinking.........

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

Hi Liz , I do hope your grandchildren get better soon . YOu are no way a bad granny , I cannot cope with grumpy grandchildren at the best of times, (bad nanny) ,, I have had shingles , but mine were inward, rather than on the outside , (means I had the virus) but not the rash ( this is when my children had them , so my second time ) ,, oh yes you have definitely spoilt your husband, I go out and tell my husband to put the washing in the machine and ON ,, lol x

Liz Hinds said...

I've sent presents to entertain the children in my place, leslie!

Shingles is very nasty i believe, Anne. And, yes, Husband is spoiled - but then I don't know how to fix cars.

nick said...

I can't believe there are still men who don't know how to use a washing machine! It's not exactly brain surgery....

Rose said...

I watched my grandson a couple of weeks ago because he had the chicken pox--I'm happy to report I haven't come down with anything yet:) But I've also had the shingles vaccination, so I thought that would protect me as well. I don't blame you, Liz, for staying home; I've had a couple friends who had shingles, and they said it was awful!

My husband has been able to use the washing machine for ages; it's the dryer he has trouble with. My kids and I "fired" him from doing laundry years ago when he shrank every shirt they owned:)

Ole Phat Stu said...

Washing machine? No problem.

But the toaster we have is very non-linear. The regulator needs to be adjusted for the amount of moisture in whatever is being toasted.

Seems I don't have a 'feel' for moisture content (no, that is NOT a dirty remark! Shame on you!).

James Higham said...

Did you tell him: "Load it and turn it on?"

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

I don't think it's wrong to avoid shingles , if you can .
Having you ill , too , won't help anyone . This way you can spring back into action the minute they're no longer infectious ( and parents are ready to collapse ! )