Monday, November 05, 2012

Dear Doctor, I have a problem

A spotty cleavage. 

I blame it on my exercise bra that squishes bits together when I'm getting hot and sweaty. But what's the alternative? Letting it all hang loose is likely to cause major long-term damage not to mention the danger to eyesight from flip-flopping boobs.

A Playtex Cross Your Heart bra that lifts and separates sounds ideal but they don't do those in exercise format. Probably not at all any more in fact. I guess I shall have to put up with the itch.

* * * * * * * * * *
I watched The Dambusters yesterday afternoon. I hadn't seen it for ages, not since I discovered my great-uncle Horace was in the Dam Busters squadron. It makes a difference knowing someone involved. And what a great film it is. Dated, yes, and some of the special effects were chronic, but still gripping.

When the men were finding ways of spending the the day before they were going to fly my stomach was as tense as if I were going up in the aeroplane. It was incredibly successful but at a terrible cost: fifty-six men didn't return from that one mission. Reassuring Barnes Wallis, the inventor of the bouncing bomb, the flight commander said, 'I knew those men; each of them would have chosen to go even if they'd known they would never return.'

There were an awful lot of heroes in that war. (And let's not think about the German people who lost their lives as a result of the flooding from the blowing up of the two dams.)

There was a wonderful moment early on when Barnes Wallis was begging officials for a Lancaster bomber so he could experiment. The official said they didn't have enough and what could he possibly say to justify letting BW have one to which BW replied, 'You could tell them I designed it.'


* * * * * * * * * *
I am awfully excited.

Husband has just booked flights to and from Italy for next February  We're flying to Rome to spend a couple of days looking around before the Italy Wales rugby international, and then, after the game, we take the train to Venice - a place I've longed to visit for another day or so. How exciting is that?

* * * * * * * * * *
I'm just about managing to write a bit of my new novel each day so far for NaNoWriMo. I'm a bit behind schedule: on their website they have all sorts of clever graphs and statistic things, and according to that, at my current rate, I should finish my 50,000 (the aim) by December 2nd, which is 2 days late. So not bad.

I had only the barest idea for the novel when I decided to take part at the last minute so it's a case of sit down and see what happens today, which is rather exciting. 

(Oh oh, fireworks have started. Fortunately George is unconcerned. Harvey was when he was young; it was only as he got older that he didn't like them.)

* * * * * * * * * *
I didn't write much about taking the bible study in Zac's last week.

I went very well prepared with a cunning plan. I got a saucepan lid and a spoon from the kitchen and, when i began, I said I intended to bang it if the noise got too much. Well, it did and I did.

Everyone stopped talking.
They looked at me.
Then carried on talking.

Afterwards Mike, one of the regulars who in his other life trains people in various things, asked if I wanted lessons but he didn't specify in what. 



8 comments:

Mauigirl said...

Oooh, glad you're doing NaNoWriMo and will be working on that next novel. Looking forward to it!

Ole Phat Stru said...

Exceptional floods have left more than half of Venice under water since friday. Not a joke!

Suburbia said...

Love the coupling of boobs and bouncing bombs!
;-)

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

Hi liz... you are just hilarious ..:-) .. I noticed you put .. hubby booked flight to and from ... that is a strange way to say it don't you think ... I hope I have not offended you .. a writer LOL

As you love Rugby soooo much I will let you off ... LOL .. obviously you are going to support Wales but who is your hubby supporting ?? I wonder who your son will support now that he has married and Italian lady :-)

I have wanted to go to Venice for a long time .. enjoy.

Katney said...

Babe would climb into the bathtub when there were fireworks or thunderstorms.

Liz Hinds said...

THank you, mauigirl!

Oh no, stu! We'd planned a trip to New orleans then the hurricane struck. Beginning to think we're jinxed!

Thanks, sub.

Not at all offended, anne. Husband will support Wales too as will Son.

I wrote that earlier but we did notice later that george was a little more edgy than usual, katney.

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

How can an "English" man, go to Italy and support Wales .. LOL LOL... ..

Liz Hinds said...

He's very supportive of me, anne!