Wednesday, October 03, 2012

A foyer for church indeed!

In a conversation with two people this evening one of them said, 'Well, Zac's is a foyer for church really.'
At that point we were interrupted and had to move and it wasn't until later on my way home that I realised what he meant: that Zac's is an entrance, a gateway, into other 'proper' churches. What a cheek!

Zac's is a church. A church for ragamuffins. Not a stopping off point. Well, it can be that for people in need of rest but it's a church in its own right. It's not a place where people can wait, be prepared, made ready, until they're good enough for a 'real' church. And I shall jolly well tell the speaker so - politely of course - when next I see him. Huh!

Not sure how well the Bruce Springsteen quotation went down with the older church people in prison tonight but it doesn't really matter. It only matters how it went down with the guys - one of whom, coincidentally, it turns out was on security at the last Springsteen gig I attended in Cardiff. 

Come to think of it, my rendition of 'Tramps like us, baby, we were born to run,' may not have impressed them either. Or my impromptu Jewish dancing.

And my dinner plans went awry again.

A big shop in Sainsburys this afternoon with steak and salad planned for dinner. i bought the salad but it wasn't until I was nearly home that I remembered I'd forgotten the steak. 'Not to worry,' I said. 'I can get it in Tesco's on  my way home from prison.'

Which would have been fine if I'd remembered to take my purse.

7 comments:

Rose said...

I didn't realize some people had to be cleaned up or prepared in some way to be able to attend a "real" church. Well, actually, I do know some so-called Christians who think that way. I sometimes wonder if they have read the New Testament.

Ole Phat Stu said...

You should have told him that
"Zac's is a foyer for church"
comes from anagramming
"Focus afresh, crazy choir!" ;-)

Furtheron said...

you expose the reasons I left all religion like this behind me a long time ago - did Jesus have buildings? Did he have rules and structures and dictates about what constituted "church" and what didn't? I keep meaning to find time to study the Gnostic gospels - whenever I read about them it strikes me the very early church had it right in how it acted and behaved... sadly the Roman's had other ideas...

Katney said...

I can see, though, that while Zac's is church proper (and I was sorry that we we were not in Swansea on a Tuesday for I would have loved to have experienced Zac's) it can also be an introduction to what the whole church should be. If it is where the ragamuffins find church it is as it should be, and if it introduces some to further study, then that is as it should be as well.

I don't know, am I being particularly muddled?

If we limit Zac's to foyer, then it is a bad interpretation. If we use foyer to open up, then maybe...

Liz Hinds said...

Indeed, rose.

How long did that take you, stu?!

We're looking at what church is in our times at zac's at the moment, furtheron. What a shame you can't join us! It is certainly different from what a lot of churches suggest it is.

I am sure he was limiting it to the foyer, katney. The speaker is a good man whom I love and respect but he doesn't quite 'get' Zac's.

Anonymous said...

I think this is one of the most vital info for me. And i'm glad reading your article. But want to remark on some general things, The web site style is perfect, the articles is really nice : D. Good job, cheers
Here is my weblog straight from the source

Anonymous said...

Helpful information. Lucky me I discovered your website by chance, and
I'm stunned why this coincidence did not happened in advance! I bookmarked it.

my site :: read this post here