Tuesday, September 04, 2012

The annual barbecue

It was raining on Sunday morning. 'Never mind,' I said. 'It will be fine by this afternoon for the Zac's/God's Squad barbecue.'

Then we had the phone call to say Father-in-law had died.

'Shall we cancel the barbecue?' I asked.
'No, Pop wouldn't have wanted that. He wanted life to go on.'

As did the rain. What had started as a cloudy with possible breaks morning had turned into a 'can't see the clouds for the rain' morning. 'It will be fine this afternoon,' I said.

And it was. Warm even when the sun came out - but Ric still needed a cup of tea.













And we ate and we laughed and we all had a jolly good time.

Pop would have enjoyed that.



6 comments:

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

Bless your dear Father in law .. sending a prayer and hug, but as you say he would of loved your BBQ, xx

Katney said...

So sorry for your loss. It is tough to lose that connection, but Pop was right, life goes on and not cancelling was the right call. You can grieve after.

Liz Hinds said...

Thanks, both. x

CherryPie said...

I am sorry to here about your Father in law. I am sure he was smiling down on you at your BBQ.

Leslie: said...

Good call...I'm sure FIL would have approved. Regardless, sending you and hubby my condolences. It is hard even at our age to lose a parent. Hugs...

Liz Hinds said...

Thanks, cherrypie and leslie. x