Monday, July 30, 2012

A lady down the road from us walks past our house most days when she exercises her two small dogs. On her return she's always -at least every time I see her - talking on her phone.


Is it just because I'm not a talker that I don't understand this? Surely walking the dogs is a good way to get peace and quiet and think or rest your brain? The same sort of thing happened on our day's fishing last week: people had and used their phones when we out bobbing about on the beautiful calm briny. 


Maybe it's just that I'm Lizzie No-mates - I don't get phone calls, not the sort when friends just call up for a chat - and I prefer not to make them either. Email, messenging and text was made for me.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Totally agree with you Liz
Wendy (Wales)

jams o donnell said...

I just don't get how people stay on the phone all the time. Then again I'm a bit of a no-mates too!

Leslie: said...

I agree with you, Liz. When I go for a walk, I take my mobile with me but only in case I fall on my face after a car hits me. I do wish I had an ipod thingy and knew how to work it because some quiet music would be nice to listen to.

nick said...

I agree, walking is a perfect opportunity to empty your brain and forget all the usual everyday concerns. Why fill up that space with a lot of trivial chatter?

Katney said...

I'm with you , Liz. I have never much liked phones, and now that I have mastered texting, I may never have to talk to anyone again. Oh, well. Probably not.

We are sociable, though, aren't we, Liz?

Liz Hinds said...

I'm glad everyone agrees.

Leslie, Husband takes his when he's walking George on his own but I usually forget. I will rely on George to do his Lassie bit.

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

I cannot believe you are not a talker ..:-)

Leslie .. you are not really meant to use ipod thingys.. when walking .. unless you have a clear place to walk .. otherwise you will not hear the traffic ..!!

mrsnesbitt said...

Hmmmm talking on the mobile whilst walking the dog? doesn't add up! One or the other - but NEVER together. Recipe for disaster!

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

Since I've never quite mastered my mobile , I'm not tempted .
I thought I'd have better luck texting .... but after only managing to text "heep"* to Middle Daughter , I stopped . I was just confusing people .
*I think I'd been trying to text "hello".

Liz Hinds said...

Just checking something ...

CherryPie said...

I do like my mobile and phone calls. But out walking the dogs, a walk in the countryside, one of my days out or enjoying my holidays and a phone is a definite no-no. It is turned off

Liz Hinds said...

We're all obviously very sensible bloggers.

(Predictive text catches me out too, sonata.)