Sunday, September 04, 2011

Traumatising children

It wasn't intentional.

I should make that clear from the start although I know that you know that I wouldn't deliberately traumatise GrandDaughter.

Mummy dropped her off on our bed and while Husband got up to go and make me a cup of tea GrandDaughter and I chatted. And that's when I happened to mention the monster living under the duvet. 'Watch,' I said. 'See if it appears.'
And what do you know, there it came, peeking out and wriggling around.

When I realised that GrandDaughter was a little bit anxious I quickly pulled my toe back under the duvet and reassured her that the monster had gone. I even threw back the duvet to show her there was nothing there. It wasn't until the afternoon when she came up to the bedroom with me to get something and she made me check under the duvet again that I realised how disturbed she'd been.

On reflection I should probably have shown her that it was my toe and not a monster ...

I can see her now in years to come in therapy, 'You see, doctor, there used to be a monster living in my granny's bed.'

Someone call Childline.

8 comments:

Furtheron said...

did you watch Dr Who last night... if not I'd advise avoiding it... ;-)

Liz Hinds said...

No, we missed it last night but I was scared by the trailer.

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

I never used to be able to watch Dr Who .. scared me so much .. actually still cannot watch it.. LOL

I remember doing this once Liz, never again .. learnt my lesson.

nick said...

You can never tell with kids, can you? One will be scared rigid for days, the other will say "Don't be silly granny, it's just your toe."

Which reminds me, I must just check my duvet....

mrsnesbitt said...

Oh I know-I remember the power as an early years teacher - always on my guard xx

Leslie: said...

Oh dear...I hope she forgets soon.

jams o donnell said...

Surely it's granny's job to scare the willies out of her grandkids!

MaryB said...

Thanks, Liz. The monster under the duvet idea might come in handy someday. ;-)