Monday, August 29, 2011

Why does my computer hate me?

It must do. I can't think of any other reason why it would behave for the 'expert' but not for me.

The computer in work that is. I've been having problems embedding material in the Linden website. After trying everything suggested on the various help forums, I consulted our webman (who is difficult to get hold of hence my reticence in trying).

He talked me through a remedy; it didn't work. I sent him the information, he did exactly the same as he'd told me to do - and I'd done - and it worked.

Today I attempted another bit of embedding using webman's method; once again it didn't work for me.

I am beginning to take this personally.

In other totally unrelated bits of internet stuff, I googled 'rusty transit van' images and up came a picture of Brad Pitt. While I have no objection to unsolicited images of Brad Pitt gracing my screen it does make me wonder how Google works.

I said to Ric this morning that google was a word before Google appeared; later on I began to doubt the accuracy of that statement and checked it with Mr Chambers' good book. I was right: googly is a noun (an off-breaking ball with an apparent leg-break action on the part of a right-arm bowler to a right-handed batsman or conversely for a left-arm bowler) and to google is to bowl or behave in such a manner. So there. You've often googled, haven't you?

And of course, a googol is 1 followed by 100 zeros. As we discovered to our cost in the quiz we attended last week. (Don't ask how we fared.)

4 comments:

Katney said...

Do you perhaps have a security setting on your computer which prevents you from accomplishing the task?

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

I wonder how your brain works sometimes.. LOL I love your snippets .. and your stories.

CherryPie said...

Google works in mysterious ways!

Liz Hinds said...

I don't think so, katney. But it's a possibility!

THanks, anne.

Oh it does cherrypie.