Sunday, August 21, 2011

Don't pick a fight with a poet* ... and other random ramblings

When I saw a copy of Case Histories in a second-hand bookshop I remembered Suburbia's advice that the book was better than the television series and bought it. I finished it today and it is very good. A little confusing but I think that might be because I was trying to remember the series and fit it together - and it didn't exactly. Very enjoyable though.

As are The Fethering Mysteries, a series by Simon Brett, creator of After Henry television and radio series. I've read and enjoyed his Charles Parris and Mrs Pargeter murder stories but have only recently discovered this newer series set in a West Sussex seaside town and featuring two amateur sleuths. A very light read and not the sort of thing to give you nightmares.

Unlike The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I came late to this book; for some reason I thought it was some sort of philosophy book. (Yes, I know: I don't know where that idea came from either.) It's a thriller and it's translated from the original Swedish and is exceptionally well-written. There are some very gruesome bits in it - which make me disinclined to see the film - but it is an excellent story with wonderful characters. I've just borrowed the second book in the series: it's great when you find a new author - or series - that you enjoy and can read lots more of his/her work. It was the same when I first read Barbara Pym many years ago. Not so good to find out that she was, like the author of The Girl books, dead and that once I'd got through all her books in the library, there wouldn't be any more to which to look forward.

* * * * * * * * * * * *

I went with Daughter for her appointment with the midwife last week. She's 15 weeks and we were able to listen to Baby's heartbeat. Thumpity thumpity thumpity thump. Very rapid and clear.

How can anyone pretend or claim that it isn't a baby at that stage when evidence of its very real and individual life is so obvious?

* * * * * * * * * * *

Wales had a good win over Argentina yesterday. Not the most thrilling of rugby games but, as everyone kept saying, it's winning that is important for confidence-building before next month's world cup. And there were some hopeful-looking prospects.

I don't expect Wales to win the world cup but I hope they put on a more credible performance than they have done on occasion in the past.

* * * * * * * * * *

*Don't pick a fight with a poet is the title of a song on the new CD by Madeline Peyroux.

4 comments:

Leslie: said...

After watching several "Inspector Lynley" mysteries, I bought 5 of the books and am having the same problem as you did with "Case Histories." Ho-hum, but I'm still really enjoying them!

Katney said...

Thanks the suggestions for some good reads. We may have to stop at the bookstore tomorrow as the library is closed till it reopens in its new location. Which is odd, since I have been volunteering in the move and spent a couple of hours Friday unpacking and shelving books that I can't check out because the library is closed.

Liz Hinds said...

I watched Inspector Lynley, leslie, but wasn't too taken with it.

I hope your new library is as good as our new one, katney.

NitWit1 said...

You have been very busy reading. I have a Kindle and wonder if these devices are catching across the waters.

I carry it Physician appts so don't have to handle the germy ancient magazines provided in waiting rooms.

U carry it to exercise and prop on treadmill for 30 minutes. I wish it were smaller but all that was available when was ready to buy.