Monday, August 22, 2011

Did God invent the apostrophe?

Driving home from the dentist today I noticed a large board outside a church and it read, 'Why not make this church your spiritual home'.

Now quite apart from the obvious reasons - like the 'whatever happened to relationship-based evangelism?' and the use of Christian jargon - would anyone seriously consider attending a church that fails the punctuation test?

Imagine what they'd do with apostrophes!

By the way when I said that to Husband he replied, 'God's not interested in apostrophes but in apostles.'

Which everyone knows is nonsense. Why would he have invented the apostrophe if he didn't care about its use?

6 comments:

jams o donnell said...

Ah just think how the world would have been if there had been twelve punctuation marks rather than 12 apostles.

I would love to see the feast day of Saint Hyphen!

Liz Hinds said...

I think that's a brilliant idea, jams! If I wasn't rushing - you can tell, can't you? - to go out now I'd sit and think of appropriate ways to celebrate it.

MadPriest said...

Those guilty of apostrophe apostasy (apostolic or otherwise) should be burned at the stake.

nick said...

I thought it was only old fogeys who worried about proper use of the apostrophe. The fact is that if the apostrophe disappeared everything would still be quite comprehensible. No denying it would look pretty weird to us old folk though.

Liz Hinds said...

Precisely, madpriest.

That's me, nick, old fogey! I don't think that everything would be comprehensible, not totally.

Ole Phat Stu said...

Pra'y fo'r th'e grocer's ;-)