Tuesday, August 09, 2011

ABC Wednesday - D

For ABC Wednesday Wales this week we look at the letter D for dragon, David and daffodil.

You'll see the dragon on the Welsh flag that decorates the top left-hand corner of my blog. The dragon and the daffodil are both recognised symbols of Wales and daffodils are traditionally worn on March 1st when we celebrate the day of our national saint, David or Dewi Sant.

David lived in the sixth century. He was a monk and later Archbishop of Wales and was canonised in 1120. He travelled as a missionary through Wales - where he established several churches - as well as further afield. He is said to have been buried on the site of his sixth century monastery, where St. David's cathedral now stands in the city of the same name, the smallest city in Britain.

In Wales, St. David's Day is celebrated in schools, usually with an eisteddfod (musical and spoken word competitions), and children wear the traditional costume, which today for boys - and some girls - means a red rugby jersey. When I was in school we had the afternoon off but that is one tradition that has, sadly, died out.

This photo of me with blow-up daffodil (and George) was taken a few years ago. My t-shirt reads: '100% Welsh. Need I say more?'
And some real daffs in full bloom on the sea front.
On his deathbed David is said to have told his followers to, 'Do the little things' ('Gwnewch y pethau bychain'), advice we can still follow today.

Oh, I nearly forgot Delilah! The song has become a second national anthem always sung at rugby games, and here it is performed by the boy from the Welsh valleys, Tom, himself.


To take part in ABC Wednesday go here. As usual I'm posting early but won't be able to comment until late because we're away each Wednesday and Thursday.

17 comments:

Gigi Ann said...

Oh how can you not love hearing Tom Jones singing "Delilah" one of my favorites.

mrsnesbitt said...

Tom - delightful boyoo! lol!
Thanks Liz - great post.
Denise
ABC Team

photowannabe said...

Tom Jones and Delilah...what a great combination. Love it and I didn't realize that it was a Welsh tradition.
I simply love that blowup daffy. It would be a perfect decoration for a party I am having.

Jane and Chris said...

A blow up daffodil?!
What happened to leeks?
Jane x

Meryl said...

Sweet post! I love how your Welsh flag is animated and waves... and I love daffodils! They always warm my heart because I know spring is coming!

Dr. Stu said...

And D is for Daleks ...

See http://youtu.be/3-2A2McqVNs

Leslie: said...

Oh my hero! Tom, not David - sorry about that! lol I've seen him perform live twice in my life and swooned and screamed both times! I remember that photo of you and George and the daffodil from a few years back - has it been that long? Have a delightfully decadent week, Liz!

Leslie
abcw team

Chronicles of Illusions said...

Such a great post - I never knew about David. And Tom Jones singing is always a plus

Chubskulit Rose said...

hat's a huge daffodil hehehe.

ABC Wednesday

Anonymous said...

Ding and a Dong your post has a song !! Nice :)

Pheno, ABCW Team

Shooting Parrots said...

Thanks for you post which lead me to investigate St Davids Cathedral further. It looks a fantastic place, especially the Treasury and I certainly plan a visit soon.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

You've gone and got me nostalgic again now!

Roger Owen Green said...

I didn't know about David; interesting DUDE!
ROG, ABC Wednesday team

Anonymous said...

Off Topic Question :
How did the early Welsh reproduce successfully? Welsh had no words for Pink or Brown and so couldn't distinguish between them; the words Pink and Brown had to be imported into the language.

Linda said...

Hi Liz! I just dropped in after being absent for a while from the whole blogging thing (I used to be straightupandslightlydirty). I just had to comment on how much I love the Welsh culture and language references! I wish I could hear them spoken because the pronunciation is so different than the way it looks. And the Delilah vid! Oh, be still my heart!

Gledwood said...

o wel wel, mae'r draig yn goch!

that was the v first sentence I learned in Welsh!!

NitWit1 said...

I love this ABC Wed. and sorry I missed last week. I really learn so much in a casual way. Thanks