Friday, July 22, 2011

Going to the toilet is much under-rated

Going to the toilet is a much under-rated activity. But, like any activity, it needs the right setting, a pleasing ambience.

I never went to the toilet in school. They were such horrid cold, smelly, wet places. Although I never told them about this habit of mine, my children inherited the trait and refused to go in school even though I impressed upon them how unhealthy it was to hold it in all day. (Do as I say not as I do.)

Now I find I'm avoiding the toilet in work. It's not that it's unpleasant in Linden; it's just that it's a typical 'institution' sort of toilet. So after work I rush home, dash through the door, yell, 'hello, I'll talk to you in a minute,' at everybody and scuttle into my beautiful blinging toilet.

And toilet, now that's another thing. It's very non-U to use that word. Lavatory is the preferred alternative I'm told.

And speaking of toilets, I wrote what I think is my best monologue on the theme of toilets without once mentioning the word.

But whatever you call it and whenever you go, do take time to enjoy the experience.

3 comments:

Chubskulit Rose said...

We collect rocks and I love the one you find. Also love the art in the sand you guys made.

Leslie: said...

The first time I came to England,it was a long drive from the airport to my hostess's home. I politely asked her if I could use her "bathroom." She looked extremely confused and asked me, "Do you want to take a bath or do you just need to use the toilet?" Well, um, er, *cough* - "I just need to use the toilet." "Oh well then," she said,"there's a toilet just off the kitchen." I found out that here in Canada, what we refer to as the bathroom is a room in England where the actual bathtub is located. Lots more "translations" were to come. Also, I much prefer the public ones in England and Europe to ours. Ours are little cubicles with half walls whereas yours tend to be completely closed off giving one much more privacy. Egad! Such a topic of discussion! lol

Liz Hinds said...

I' always bringing rocks home with me too, chubskulit!

The possibilities for discussion on this topic are never-ending, leslie!