Tuesday, July 19, 2011

ABC Wednesday


I've decided I'll join in again with season 9 of ABC Wednesday, the brainchild of Denise Nesbitt. It starts this week and I've chosen my theme for the season: Wales. It's partly in response to the fact that Wales isn't known very much outside of this country - not even recognised as a country by many who imagine it's just part of England.

Wales has an acient history as well as its own language and culture so I hope my posts will help people discover its beauty and wamt to see more of it.

For A I've chosen Abertawe, which is the Welsh name for my home city of Swansea. Aber means 'mouth of' and you'll find lots of place names in Wales that begin with it. In our case it's the mouth of the river Tawe, which isn't quite visible in this photo but the dip in the hills in the centre of the photo is the Tawe valley.

To participate go here.

15 comments:

Roger Owen Green said...

Looking forward to learning more about Wales!

ROG, ABC Wednesday team

Wanda said...

Welcome to ABC. Will also look forward to many new pictures and facts about Wales.

Jane and Chris said...

Many happy childhood holidays were spent in Wales, looking forward to getting reaquainted!
Jane x

photowannabe said...

I know very little about Wales. I am definitely eager to learn about your country.
Welcome to ABC Wednesday.

Katney said...

Welcome to ABC Wednesday. I've been participating since Round 2 and have thought that I might pass, but whatever would I do on Wednesdays? I have to think of what I will do this round, maybe just whatever comes to mind each week. It's that kind of half a year.

Gigi Ann said...

WELCOME to ABC Wednesday.

I am looking forward to learning more about Wales, All I know so far, is and this may be incorrect information, that Tom Jones the singer, comes for Wales. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Anyway, I look forward to learning about Wales.

Chubskulit Rose said...

Such a beautiful view!

Please come and see someArt Expression at my page, thanks.

Meryl said...

It looks beautiful!

Leslie: said...

So happy that you're joining in, especially since I want to learn as much about Wales as I can before returning. Love your idea for a theme.

Leslie
abcw team

Shooting Parrots said...

I'm ashamded to say that I don't know where the name Swansea came from. I look forward to seeing more of Wales.

Jay at The Depp Effect said...

Beautiful! And what a great idea - there should be plenty of things to post about in the whole of Wales!

mrsnesbitt said...

Wow Liz, am really chuffed you have joined this round. Great theme too - my theme is going to be our DIY projects! lol! I have only visited wales twice - once on a camping disaster to Tenby when our tent blew away and the second for a colleagues wedding back in 1988. We must visit again - would be great to meet up.
Denise
ABC Team

Gattina said...

Looks like a very beautiful place !
Gattina
ABC team

NitWit1 said...

I will be interested inyour Wed. post since you live no where near me. If I were not so busy, I would participate and us Arkansas. However I do not like linky so will just read your post.

Beverley Baird said...

What a lovely place! Great fcus for this round of ABC Wed.!