Tuesday, July 26, 2011

ABC Wednesday - B

Brandy Cove is one of the less easily accessible beaches on the beautiful Gower Peninsula. Which is just as well as if more than 5 people were there when the tide's in it would be crowded.
North Wales has its mountains; South Wales has its hills. The Welsh for hill is bryn, by the way, to explain why hills are appropriate for week 2/B.

There are three hill ranges in southern Wales within the Brecon Beacons national park. They are, from east to west: the Black Mountains, the Brecon Beacons, and the Black Mountain. (No, not a mistake; and to confuse us even more there is a mountain in the Black Mountains called the Black Mountain!)

Last year Husband and I visited the Black Mountains and walked up - and pushed GrandDaughter in her pushchair up - Sugar Loaf, one of the highest.
Bara brith (literally speckled bread) is a fruity spicy traditional bread. Served spread generously with fresh Welsh butter it's delicious.
My version isn't really traditional but it is very very good! If you'd like to try it, first put 325 ml of hot water in a saucepan and add 50 g butter and 375 g sultanas. Bring to the boil and simmer for 4 minutes. Allow to cool slightly.

Sieve 375 g self-raising flour into a bowl with half a teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda and add 250 g sugar. Mix in the warm fruit mixture and 2 beaten eggs. Put in a large loaf tin and level a bit. Bake at 190 or 325 or gas 3 for up to an hour or until well-risen and a skewer stuck in comes out clean.

I check after 40 minutes and cover with foil if it's getting too brown.

19 comments:

Roger Owen Green said...

BEAUTIFUL (X2) and delicious, respectively.


ROG, ABC Wednesday team

Anonymous said...

My favourite B? Bwlch, where you can watch the NATO fighters flying through the pass BELOW you, on the knife-edge :-)

Leslie: said...

My Welsh-born Nana used to make that loaf and it's delicious! I can hardly wait to see all the hills and mountains in Wales, having only been to Newport, Cardiff, and a bit of the hilly road that took us back into Chester, England. Great choices for our B week!

Leslie
abcw team

CherryPie said...

I love the scenery :-) I am trying not to think about the Bara brith which I know is delicious ;-)

Jane and Chris said...

I make a vegan version of the cake...mmmmm, now I want some!
Jane x

Katney said...

I will have to translate the measurments but if necessary I have a mathematician in the family. However, you say to add the warm fruit mixture, but what is the warm fruit mixture?

Kim, USA said...

Now this bread sounds very yummy. Thanks for sharing!

Blue

photowannabe said...

Terrific choice of words for B. Those Black Mountains are a bit confusing.
The bread looks so delicious.

Live2cherish said...

Now that's confusing with black mountain in black mountains. Would surely try the recipe, thanks for sharing.

Wanda said...

Your Bread looks wonderful...I posted some Banana Bread on my B post today too.

Love these fruit breads with lots of fresh cream butter!!!!

NitWit1 said...

Brandy Cove is interesting name for a cove.

Bread reminds me of fruitcake which I love.

Liz Hinds said...

Good job you noticed that, katney! I left out a vital ingredient, sultanas. I've amended it now, thanks.

Thanks all. I'll be visiting later in the week.

Shooting Parrots said...

Barra bread looks scrummy. I've made a note of your recipe.

The Poet said...

Lovely photos and your bread is making me feel hungry.

My entry is here -
Blissful Memories

jeng said...

Brandy Cove sure is a breathtaking view, and that bread sure looks yummy. : )

Gledwood said...

Ti wedi mynd i'r Mynydd Du isn't it!

Chronicles of Illusions said...

Great post and love the photos

Martha said...

And some say there's no God. ;)

Your Brandy Cove photo is also beautiful. A good camera and lots of patience helps in capturing an excellent photo. A little prayer doesn't hurt either.

Reader Wil said...

That looks delicious! It's been a long time since my husband and I stayed in Wales.
It's nice to meet you again Liz! You were first on EFX2 weren't you? Just like me.My name was then Reader.
You were disappointed that Hans Brinker didn't exist, weren't you? Well it is impossible to prevent a dike from breaking by putting a finger in a whole. Water is so powerful, it cannot be stopped by anything when the water is getting through it.Sorry!! ;)