Sunday, April 03, 2011

The battle is lost

I was trying so hard not to start on the box of Maltesers but like little seductresses they whispered to me and led me astray.

What I've been trying to do is empty the drawers from my old bedside cabinet but that meant I also had to empty the tall boy to make space for stuff that won't fit in my new small bedside cabinet. So I've been ruthless, thrown out all those nearly-full bottles of hair styling gel that I bought with good intentions and the Christmas present body lotions that I should be using but never find time for and the medicines that were best before Nov 2005.

I've brought downstairs the collection of pens and pencils, the bookmarks and the little bag of buttons.

The buttons were all in separate bags originally; I assume they came as spares with various outfits I've bought over the years. I methodically opened each bag, removed the button and put it with the others in a single bag. And now, realistically, I might as well throw them away.

I feel I should have a button bottle but so many things would all have to happen for me to make use of it. I'd have to have lost a button, remember I had a button store, be bothered to look for it, be fortunate enough to find the right one and- most unlikely of all - sew it on. I might as well admit defeat now and save myself the energy.

But it just seems wrong to throw them away. After all I recall having hours of fun with my granny's huge button bottle (and she never sewed on a button either). I'll just put them on a shelf for now ...

5 comments:

Leslie: said...

Save the buttons for GD...she'll have great fun with them when she's old enough to do crafts. Then the buttons will come back to you in some sort of artwork! :D Trust me, I'm (was) a teacher!

Katney said...

Oh, Leslie, great minds run on the same track. GD will love them when she reaches the age that she doesn't try to eat them.

Katney said...

And Liz--I still do need your snail mail address for a package. Don't force me to clean my desk, my drawers, and every surface in the house where a little stack of mail might be hiding to find the envelope that has it.

Gledwood said...

How many Maltesers did George have..??!

Anna said...

I'll have them!