Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Hospital for sinners

When two people are guaranteed to rub each other up the wrong way and those two people are in a room together, you can be sure that sparks will fly.

Still Zac's wouldn't be Zac's without such people. And Sean managed to keep control and we got through the bible study, albeit with a hum of sub-talk.

Before we started a couple of very hungry youngsters came in. One was almost incapable and, once again, I am left wondering what sort of childhood, what happenings led her to the life that she now leads. And would she choose to be out of it if she could, and what stops her.

The other, a lad, had been getting his life sorted. I can't remember what Sean said had happened but he's back on the streets. But he stayed quietly for the study. He is the type that brings out the mother in me.

Another, a regular, was chattier than she'd ever been before and was telling me about the emotional roller-coaster she was on. She has, I suppose, some sort of learning difficulty or impairment, but she's very intelligent, has lovely hand-writing and can surprise me with her insights. It would be so easy to judge her on her appearance - and I have been guilty of that - but there's far more to her than that. (Learning difficulty isn't the right description but I don't know what is.)

Just another week at the hospital for sinners - as opposed to the museum for saints, as Sean described it.

2 comments:

mrsnesbitt said...

These kids sound as though they have a deep accurate insight!

NitWit1 said...

I love these stories about Zac's and think it would make a good book, with fictional setting of course, to protect privacy.

It seems quite an assortment of life passes through.