Thursday, February 25, 2010

Lenten thanks 9

Last night before I went to sleep I was reading A is for Alibi by Sue Grafton. She's written a series of books (alphabetical) about female private investigator, Kinsey Milhone.

The book I'm reading is actually a compendium of the first three novels in the series and I bought it second-hand in Red Cafe. Looking at my bookshelves now I realise I already have A is for Alibi - and have read it - but it was a long time ago and I've forgotten what it was about (one advantage of older age is that I can reread books and watch films again without knowing what's going to happen).

I have a number in the series but they've usually been random finds in charity shops or second-hand book stalls so I've C, K, I, M etc, rather than an orderly A, B, C.

Unlike my Stephanie Plum novels. I have the whole set, which is currently up to Finger Lickin' Fifteen.

I was thinking about being grateful for books generally but decided I'd be more specific and say I am so very thankful for this series of novels, written by Janet Evanovich, about a New Jersey 'bounty hunter' or fugitive apprehension agent.

They consistently make me laugh out loud and are also responsible for my longing to be called cupcake (preferably by an American Italian cop named Joe).

6 comments:

Dragonstar said...

I love Grafton's Alphabet murders, but I've never read Janet Evanovich. Working on the principle that liking one should mean liking the other, I'll have to look out for her!

Ole Phat Stu said...

You only need 1 book :-

"Forget Alzheimers!" by
Ivan M.T. Head ;-)

CherryPie said...

Books are on my 'Reasons to be glad' list too :-)

Lia said...

Nothing better than a good book.
Pure escapism.

Much love
Lia
xx

Leslie: said...

If you haven't already (or have forgotten if - lol) you must read The Stone Diaries by Carol Shields.
From Wikipedia:

The Stone Diaries, which is Shields' most famous novel, won the 1993 Governor General's Award for English language fiction in Canada and the 1995 Pulitzer Prize for Fiction in the United States. It is currently the only novel to have won both awards, because being an American-born naturalized Canadian, Shields was eligible for both.

It also won the National Book Critics Circle Award and was nominated for the Man Booker Prize.

Rose said...

I've only read one of Janet Evanovich's novels--the one before "Fifteen"--and thought it was so funny. I'm still on the library waiting list for "Finger-lickin'". But I have read all but the last one of Grafton's novels, one of my favorite mystery series. The best part about Kinsey is that she never gets any older:)