Thursday, September 10, 2009

Who's not going to get my vote?

Whenever I had cause, for whatever reason, to be doing deliveries, I always made sure I closed the gate behind me. Even when it looked as though it hadn't been closed for years I'd force it shut. So I expect people who deliver to me to do the same.

Most people, certainly those who come regularly like the postman, know to close it but some others need reminding. And even then they don't.


A few weeks ago a Lib Dem came round delivering questionnaires. He said he'd be passing again in about 30 minutes and if I'd had time to complete it I could just leave it stuck in the letterbox and he'd pick it up.


He went on his way - and I spent most of the next 30 minutes trying to find and tempt George to come back home.


I hurriedly completed the Any Other Comments section on the questionnaire saying, 'Please close gates behind you!'


Today another Lib Dem came to call. He left the gate open; George escaped.

So who do you think isn't going to get my vote next time around?
Incidentally it is curious that, while George still doesn't like to go out of the front gate when we go for a walk, he doesn't mind going that way on his own ...

11 comments:

James Higham said...

These little matters need to be observed by the pollies, especially pre-election.

Anna said...

Ach, another one did it again??!!! grrrr. let me at 'em.

Anonymous said...

Seems the only answer is to chain the gate shut and make them leap over it.

Anonymous said...

Seems the only answer is to chain the gate shut and make them leap over it.

NitWit1 said...

Thank goodness I never campaigned door-to-door, even though it is considered the most effective.

But I know how annoying it was when I, myself, left the gate open and spent a very hot afternoon chasing my German Shepherd. I finally gave up and waited for the police to call.....they did.

CherryPie said...

Obviously that is his gate and he doesn't like to share it with you ;-)

jay said...

I feel for you. :(

We've just tacked two very large and boldly printed signs up on our back gates. 'Dog running free' and 'Please close the gate'. This, following several idiot tradesmen who had been politely requested to remember we had a dog who used the garden on a regular basis forgetting the close the wretched gate and casually wandering off LEAVING it open!! GRRRR!!!

The signs worked though. ;)

Anonymous said...

wrt my blog - I deleted it. Permantely. Too much hassle.

I'm still making things so if you want anything let me know and if you are still up for a blog meet we are planning to visit Wales next spring or if you are around this way let me know!


Amanda

nick said...

I think in my case I'd want the gate shut to stop other dogs getting IN. I've several times had to scoop up the mess made by stray dogs relieving themselves in my garden. And yes, any intelligent canvasser would realise it's the little things that can lose a vote as much as the big things (and I've done plenty of canvassing myself)

Suburbia said...

How annoying, perhaps George is in league?!

Mauigirl said...

That is really irritating. We're lucky in that our gates are only to the back yard so people can come to the front door without opening them.

Agree with Jay, some signs may help. Or perhaps they should be signs saying "Beware of Vicious Dog!" and that will keep everyone out completely!