Monday, July 06, 2009

If to err is human

As well as doing the weekly church notices on paper I do a short (1-2 minute) movie show highlighting upcoming events or things of particular importance - like birthdays. I always finish the show off with a funny picture and recently I've been working through the generous field of church signs.

The one I used yesterday, seen below, had me in stitches when I first read it, and I still chuckle each time I see it. After it had been shown yesterday, a very wise and Christian lady sitting next seat by one to me leaned forward and said, 'I don't understand it.'

As I explained it I thought to myself, 'And that just about sums up the difference between thee and me.

Thank goodness God has a soft spot for fools.

(Like me - in case there's any doubt about my meaning!)

(Thanks to www.crummychurchsigns.blogspot.com)

21 comments:

nick said...

Also of course to aaaargh is irate.

Unknown said...

I'm pleased to see that that phrase was on a United Church of Christ sign! Matter of fact, it could have been the sign of a church I once pastored!

Suburbia said...

Absolutely LOVE it!!

floreta said...

hahaha i love the humor.
arrrrrrrrrr.
that must be the best church sign. i usually run away from those..

CherryPie said...

Arrr me matey :-)

Rose said...

I do believe God has a sense of humor, too; there are too many things in this world that wouldn't make sense otherwise:)

betty-NZ said...

That is so clever! I love funny church signs. Thanks for the chuckle.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Love it too!

Berni said...

I didn't get it either but as I clicked over here to tell you that I hoped that meant I was wise I got it.

Leslie: said...

I've heard that one before and it always makes me laugh!

Puss-in-Boots said...

I think that's quite clever. Someone in the particular church has a quirky sense of humour.

Liz Hinds said...

Very clever, nick.

Sounds a good church, nick!

Me too, suburbia.

It's my sort of humour too, floreta.

Avast the main brace, cherrypie!

like giraffes and me, rose! Oh and definitely george!

Glad you enjoyed, betty and welshcakes.

It works better said aloud, berni! But you are definitely wise!

I'm glad it still makes you laugh, leslie; I chuckle each time!

Some of the church signs I've seen are very clever, puss. Others are simply terrifying!

Furtheron said...

Clearly never read Pugwash books to her kids

jams o donnell said...

Haha I love it. Perhaps that would be a great one for International talk like a pirate day!

jay said...

That's funny! LOL! Both the sign and the lady who didn't understand.

Good thing there's room for us all, huh?

Gattina said...

I agree with this lady I don't understand either.

My post about Venice with pictures is here http://gattinatravels.blogspot.com/
if ever you want to see Venice not like a typical tourist.

Gledwood said...

OO ARR! HAVE YOU SEEN PIRATE GOOGLE...?

Gledwood said...

here's the link:

http://www.google.com/webhp?hl=xx-pirate

Eternal Worrier said...

Hi Liz, just read your post on electrolysis. Very funny. You’re right about the HA not being watered down in the UK (Im not sure what I was thinking at the time).

James Higham said...

I agree with the dear lady - what's it mean?

Bengbeng said...

i dont get it either :)

the to err is human is ok... to 'arrrrr' that bit i dont get it at all .. is it a cultural thingy?