Monday, July 06, 2009

I am a freak of nature

It is confirmed. Not only had the beautician not seen hair growth like mine, she's also never seen a skin reaction like mine - lumpy and black.

I wonder if I should have told her about the St. John's Wort: when I took that it affected my eyesight.

And I haven't even shown her my toes and fingers.

On a more serious note, since becoming a beautician twenty years ago, she has seen an increase in hair growth when the opposite might have been anticipated. Very young children are being sent to her with excessive hair.

Is it something in the food we eat? The water we drink?

8 comments:

nick said...

Funny, I thought there were supposed to be more female hormones in our food, which ought to reduce hair growth rather than increasing it.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Very strange, that.

jmb said...

That's interesting. Although pretty sad for those little kids.

I am glad I am not alone with the hairy chin. I don't go often enough for electrolysis. Luckily the hair is fair/grey so maybe no one notices except me.

Leslie: said...

Gee, if you find out the cause let us all know!

Liz Hinds said...

Which makes it even stranger, nick.

It is, welshcakes.

It was mainly this strange dark mat on my neck that sent me flying for electrolysis, jmb. I looked like a werewolf.

Well, I've stopped using the cream and will see if that helps, leslie.

Furtheron said...

I was about to say the same as Nick... I thought the issue was more oestrogen in the food chain, decreasing sperm counts and all that stuff.

Now as ever with these things I think... is there actually an increase or is there an increased willingness to seek treatment? Maybe the problem is no better or worse but people are less concerned about asking for help?

Liz Hinds said...

It's possible, furtheron. Old ladies have always had 'beards'.

jay said...

I know that plasticisers are being blamed for the feminisation of male children, but if you ever find out what's causing the hair, do please let me know! I'm going to have to start shaving soon, if it gets much worse! ROFL!