Wednesday, June 17, 2009

You are loved

The bible study had just started at Zac's when the door opened and a youngish (probably early 20s) lad came in. He asked if it was for the homeless and was told it was a bible study but that he was welcome to join in. 'Oh, I like a bible study,' he said, and found himself a seat.

A bit later on he walked across to Steve who was leading it and asked if he could read something before he went. This was in the middle of the study but Steve said, 'yeah, okay, go on.'

'My name is M***** P*** and I've just come out of jail. I'm going to Victory Outreach. I found out in jail that no matter what you do God loves you.'

Then he read the 23rd psalm, the Lord is my shepherd.

He was unsteady on his feet and looking rough, and I'm guessing that he'd come out of jail, met up with old friends and used again. Victory Outreach is a sort of Christian rehab organisation with homes across the country with very strict rules. M has a very long and hard battle ahead of him if he's going to come out clean and reborn (in the widest sense). I pray that God gives him the strength and determination to stick with it, and protects him from the wrong influences.
x

2 comments:

Furtheron said...

Indeed the changing old behaviours for the new is often the most difficult bit.

I pray he has success in his journey.

Berni said...

I have enough trouble overcoming my own weaknesses let alone having to attempt dealing with drugs and alcohol.