Wednesday, June 24, 2009

What's wrong with this world?

So when we were walking in the woods I was thinking more about the question of why God doesn't step in when a child is abused.

We sin, and when we sin it's because we make the wrong choice. We were created with free will. The abuser chooses to harm the child; it's his decision. He is to blame, no-one else.

Why doesn't God step in? But at what point in the many wrongs in this world should God step in? When the abuser approaches the child? When the finger is on the nuclear button? When I am about to call someone a nasty name?

I'm not belittling child abuse, heaven forbid, but surely if we are to have a God then he must be consistent. And step in each time a bad choice is about to be made - and we would be robots - or not step in.

Sean mentioned a response that he'd read to the question "What's wrong with this world?"
"I am."

But I suppose the answer that comes closest to satisfying me is that there are things I just don't understand.

I don't understand why God allows child abuse any more than I understand why he allowed his son to be abused and killed for me.

3 comments:

Paula said...

Hi Liz, for a long time I struggled with understandings for things too - well, maybe I should say - I do not believe in God and I am a survivor of child abuse - well, I came across this quote:
"If you understand, things are just as they are; if you dont understand, things are just as they are"
Zen
It did help me.
Have a nice eve

Leslie: said...

The constant struggle. I think it's our free will and He can't interfere with that.

But still...

Furtheron said...

Suffering... isn't that the Buddist mentality on things like this. We suffer as a way of growing spiritually to cope with it. Something like that - I'm probably completely wrong on that one.

I don't believe in a God that can intervene in that way so I don't have a problem. I have a problem with child abuse mostly as of virtually all crimes I just can't relate to it, many others I can understand how someone can be in a situation where they can to themselves at least justify it but the motivations behind that crime allude me. To be honest I'm very glad that is the case frankly.