Sunday, June 28, 2009

My favourite letter

I was doing word puzzles the other night when a thought struck me: I really like the letter T. I wouldn't say it's my absolute favourite letter but it is in my top 3.

If I had to choose a favourite I think it would have to be O. It's so perfect in sound and shape. They're both soft letters, which I tend to prefer, and T is just so very useful for so many things. Rather like N, S or R, our words would be dull without it. It can blend or add emphasis; soothe over the moment or create a tension. And its shape, whether a capital or small case, is pleasing.

I'm indifferent about N, tend to dislike S - but appreciate its qualities - and am ambivalent about R. (To err is human; to arrr is pirate.)

I also like K, which, although hard, has attitude, character, the old kicking C of learning the alphabet.

I have put a lot of thought into this you can tell.

What's your favourite letter?

8 comments:

Leslie: said...

Gee, I've never thought of this before. You really do have a creative mind, you know! lol Let's see now.....






the letter L - for Leslie of course. Try saying "l" - notice how the tip of your tongue hits the back of your two front teeth.

Eunoia said...

Least favourite leter :-

"Dear John..."

Mauigirl said...

Interesting question! I never thought about it, but when your post made me think, the letter B came to mind! There's something upbeat and cheerful about B. I don't know why.

Love your play on R - err vs. arrr!

MissKris said...

I like what you had to say about K because it so aptly describes me, haha! Hmmmmm...after some thought, I think M is my favorite. I dunno why. Just like 5 is my favorite number. Aren't we humans weird?!

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

I can't say I've thought about it but I think it's E.

CherryPie said...

Mmm! X it has lots of possibilities :-)

Liz Hinds said...

Yes, I like L too, leslie; it's a very relaxed letter.

Ah, yes, of course, stu.

B's another good one, mauigirl.

I don't have a favourite number, kris, but I dislike 7 very much.

E is a very practical letter, welshcakes, very suitable for a cook and teacher.

I see where you're coming from, cherrypie!

Unknown said...

I love the beauty of "Q" although perhaps not its sound.