Tuesday, June 23, 2009

For the child

Some years, possibly as many as ten, ago I attended a talk by American author, Walter Wangerin, Jr. I bought a copy of his book, The Bedtime Rhyme, and asked him to sign it. I don't know if you can read the inscription I asked for but it says, 'For the child as yet unborn.' You see, Baby, long before you were to be born, long before you were in your mummy's tummy, long before you were even thought of, you were in my heart.
I love your eyes
Like fireflies;
I love your ears
Like boutonnieres;
I love your back,
Your bones in a sack;
I love your cheeks
And all your teeths,
Your nose and toes and tongue and such -

But you say, "Stop! How much? How Much?"

More than you will ever know, Baby.




6 comments:

Rose said...

Liz, this is so precious--you've put tears in my eyes this morning. I've never seen this book before, but I love the rhyme you quoted; I will have to look for this one for youngest grandson. Your new little one will love it, and he/she will know even without hearing the words that he or she is very loved.

Ulrica said...

Beautiful:)

NitWit1 said...

A beautiful poem for a beautiful child who will surely treasure it.

Leslie: said...

What a wonderful story! And lucky for you you received an autograph!

CherryPie said...

That is so lovely :-)

EG CameraGirl said...

Lovely post full of feeling.