Sunday, April 19, 2009

the weekend

Well, hasn't the weather been gorgeous? Even the suntan lotion came out this afternoon.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. Yesterday it was, 'eat your heart out, Charlie Dimmock,' as I planted my plum tree. Ta ra! Please imagine a drum roll. I made Husband come over to see my handiwork and, of course, he said, 'You've planted it too close to the fence!' I knew there'd be something wrong. But tough. With my gardening skills the poor little tree will probably be dead by next Tuesday anyway.


I also planted a seed tray of zinnias and potted on four geraniums we bought for our new courtyard (when it's finished). I checked the seeds today: they hadn't germinated. But my plum tree is still alive so that's a plus.

So that was yesterday. This morning I was in the prison, part of the team taking the services. I was leading the prayers. I don't like doing that. Not since I was leading everyone in the Lord's prayer and I got the words wrong.

It's like your PIN number: you're so used to it you don't have to think but if you do think, that's it. Gone.

* * * * * * * * * *

This afternoon we walked George through the woods and into Clyne Gardens. The gardens used to belong to the Vivian family who also built and lived in Clyne Castle (seen in the picture above between the two towering trees). For some time, in the latter half of the twentieth century, the castle was used as student accommodation but more recently it's been sold and refurbished as posh flats. The gardens are owned by the council and are renowned for the rhododendron displays. May is usually 'Clyne in Bloom' month but we thought we'd see what was out now before the crowds get there.


And what we found were these very young ducklings. I don't know if they're eating the algae on the wall. Maybe Mum took them out for Sunday lunch.

And I don't know what this is called but you wouldn't want it in your garden unless you were lacking a sense of smell. It is truly pongy. (Postscript: It's called Lysichiton americanus. Also called skunk cabbage - from the smell described as a combination of skunk, carrion and garlic.)







And, finally, a bed of wild garlic.

11 comments:

Suburbia said...

That looks a lovely weekend! I hope your tree survives :)

Nitwit1 said...

Loved the castle photos. What was the peculiar yellow "pongy" thing?

I generally recognized the other flowers. I find it interesting the varieties were similar to flowers here--as we say, probably came over on the Mayflower.

Glad the plum is still standing.

We have ambitious plans to plant about 7 small trees/shrubs to replace the 7 lost in the ice storm IF we can find some one to dig 4' x 4' holes. Not US!

Crepe mytle, red and pink dogwood, redbud, Burford holly. Deer do not seem to destroy these species in our area.

CherryPie said...

Oh gardens, lovely :-)

Anonymous said...

good weekend then?

I planted apple and pear trees and thought about starting my diet...

Leslie: said...

Sounds as though you're having better weather than we are here. Everything is almost a month behind, although the daffodils are now fully in bloom. There are also some tulips around but not in abundance yet. Even my weeping birch is "just" now starting to sprout leaves! Gosh, I sure hope it warms up soon. Lucky you to have a plum tree - imagine a few years from now we'll be hearing all about your plum jams and jellies and what-all.

Furtheron said...

Great pictures.

We have a sycamore sapling in the front garden which seeded itself a couple of years back and which I've left alone. After the winter there is loads of new growth on it and it's about 4 ft tall... problem is, our front "garden" is about 2ft square after we put the drive and rockery thing in so sooner or later it can't stay and I can't really move it anywhere else as in the back garden we only have borders - so the too close to the fence issue and also there is a huge oak next door which grabs all the water, light etc. away from everything else.

nick said...

Clyne Gardens looks pretty. I spent yesterday walking up Slieve Donard, the highest of the Mourne Mountains. Fabulous weather.

Hope the plum tree thrives. Disregard hubby's unhelpful comment.

Barbara said...

I hope your plum tree is more successful than mine, I have yet to produce a plum!

Rose said...

I never knew the botanical name of skunk cabbage...hmmm, wonder why it has "americanus" in its name:)

I think you did a great job planting the plum tree, Liz; by the time it gets too close to the fence, it will be time for a new fence anyway. Give the zinnia seeds some time; if they don't germinate for you, you can always plant them directly in the ground. Can't wait to see your courtyard when you're all finished!

By the way, tonight was Sophie's first class of Puppy School. I couldn't believe her--she was a model student! I thought someone had switched dogs on me:)

Katney said...

I was taking pictures of skunk cabbage this weekend, too. If I had returned sooner I might have been the one to identify your plant.

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

Well I think it all looks great. Even if a man is not a gardener "its wrong"..my husband thinks he can do everything, gas, electrics, etc..I say no lets pay the someone to do it.."that is why you are in IT and they are paid for their jobs"!!