Thursday, April 02, 2009

Spring cleaning

There's been a big black bag upstairs since Christmas. It's moved from the spare room to the landing and finally around our bedroom, waiting for me to ask someone to put it - the bag of Christmas decorations - in the attic.

This morning I thought, 'You're not helpless! Put it in the attic yourself.' Then I thought I should just peek inside to make sure it was decorations: it turned out to be full of rubbish from Younger Son's room. Old crisp packets, empty water bottles, lids, general scrap.

Which does make me wonder what I've done with the Christmas decorations.

* * * * * * * * *

Why is it that whatever I'm doing I think I should be doing something else?

When I'm writing I think I should be doing housework; when I'm cleaning I think I should be cleaning a different room. And whatever I'm doing I think I should be doing it faster and better.

It's probably symptomatic of deep psychological angst. They probably took away my dummy before I was ready. I'll have to ponder this while I'm in the hairdressers for three hours this afternoon.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

lol, I could'nt find the decorations last Christmas... *rolls eyes*


I'm online thinking I should be cleaning... ;0)

Leslie: said...

I'm afraid we all know where the Christmas decorations went. :(

Don't ponder this afternoon - just enjoy your time there. :)

Eternal Worrier said...

Just as well you didn’t put a bag of rubbish into the loft for the summer. Maybe you’ve put the dec’s into the recycling. I had a friend who accidently put ski suits out for the charity shop and put a load of clothes that didn’t fit into the loft. We always keep a look out on charity appeals for an African wearing a bright yellow ski suit.

Suburbia said...

That's funny Liz! Maybe George knows where your Christmas decs are?

jmb said...

What are you doing at the hairdresser's for three hours? OK, I won't ask.

Just go with the flow, it all works out in the end. We have so much guilt, don't we? Most things really don't matter in the scheme of things.

Sarah Lulu said...

Hahaha I loved that story so much.

I hope you have had a great three hours at the hairdresser.

You ...are helping me with quite a big issue.

We never know do we what God has planned for us?

Thank you.

Puss-in-Boots said...

Sounds like you're in a bad way, Liz. Have some chocolate...

jay said...

Hahahaha!!! I was thinking 'she only has ONE bag for Christmas decorations?' and it turned out to be rubbish from your son's room. Then I thought 'She only has ONE bag of rubbish from her son's room?' ROFL!!

I know exactly what you mean about thinking you ought to be doing something else whatever it is you're doing at the time. I'm just the same. I blame my brother. He was under two years old when I was born and he kept stealing my bottle.

jams o donnell said...

Ach sitting here makes me wish I could do housework.. that's "could" of course

MaryB said...

1. I think I have one of those black bags, too. You've inspired me to look inside.
2. Me, too. Why can't I just live in the present instead of projecting myself somewhere else?

Liz Hinds said...

I never blog when i should be cleaning, amanda!!!

I did, lesley.

I'm fearful that is where my decorations have gone, ew.

That is also a possibility, suburbia!

very true, jmb.

I did enjoy my time at the hairdressers, sarah lulu; my only problem was staying awake!

Thank you, puss.

Jay, no, these were just the decorations that hadn't been put away first time. At least i thought thta's what they were!


Make the most of it, jams.

Oh, what did you find in your black bag, mary?!

Furtheron said...

Head full of shoulds... I know that one.