Saturday, April 04, 2009

How to eat a pear

First choose a pear that is ripe but firm.
Cradle it - wait -
for just a moment
before you sink your teeth into its tender flesh.
Savour the sweetness slipping over your tongue
satiating your desire.
Let its juice dribble down your chin and onto your fingers.

Eating a pear is best done alone. It is not
for group consumption
unless at a polite dinner party
where you use a knife and
feign indifference.

* * * * * * * * *

What do you think? Do you like my poem? I think it's a poem. It felt like a poem when I was writing it in my head in the woods. But I'm not a poet and I don't write poetry so I could be wrong.

It was inspired by eating a pear in the woods. Finding the perfect pear is difficult. They only maintain that condition for about 5 minutes. They're either just a bit hard or, yuck, soft and slushy. they're not like apples; you can eat an apple anywhere.

What I didn't mention in my 'poem' is that George always gets to eat the core, but that didn't fit in with the sensual nature of the experience.

I wish I 'got' poetry. I really have no clue about it. There must be a bit of my brain missing. Probably quite a big bit ...

8 comments:

Eunoia said...

Off Topic, re Kirsty Grabham, deceased, Swansea :

I just love the last 4 words of the Welsh police description :
"white, 5ft 2in tall, with shoulder-length straight blonde hair, of slim build, with an English accent."

jailhouselawyer said...

Fruit always tastes better if it has first been scrumped.

Katney said...

It is a poem.

Gattina said...

What ? you ate a pear in the woods ? Now ?? with this cold weather and the expensive prices for fruits ? and only to write this poeme ! compliments ! lol !

Puss-in-Boots said...

Well, it's very descriptive and quite a sensual description...I'd call it a poem. Unfortunately, I can't agree with you 'cos I don't like pears!

CherryPie said...

Mmmm! I can taste that pear now :-)

Ole Phat Stu said...

Doesn't rhyme, doesn't scan,
doesn't that make it prose?

But you could do worse :-
http://home.egge.net/~savory//vogonpoem.htm

Liz Hinds said...

Some things you can tell by just looking, stu.

Or gathered wild, jailhouselawyer.

Thank you, katney. I thought so.

It wasn't cold here, gattina!

You don't like pears, puss?!

Good, cherrypie.

Not according to English teachers who have never been able to explain the difference to me, stu.