Thursday, April 23, 2009

And today, children, this is what silly Mr Brown is going to do

On last night's news they said the government was going to be selling guilt. Oh, please! I cannot see that working as a money-raiser. I already have far too much.

Does anyone else listen to the Six o'clock News on Radio 4? They frequently have economic reports from a man who was turned down for his first choice occupation - primary school teacher - for being too condescending.

I am going to have to throw a plate at the radio one of these days. (Make that a mug; I broke another plate yesterday and we're running short.)

And what's more - one of the reasons I don't watch the news on television, apart from the fact that I don't watch television, is the way it's presented.
Reporter stands in front of screen.
Picture comes up on screen e.g. piles of £5 notes so we know they're talking about money.
Reporter says something.
Words come up on screen repeating what she said only simplified in 5 words of 1 syllable.
Ditto three times.
She turns to screen and points to a picture of a house and says house prices are going down. On top of picture of house moving image appears of a £ sign crashing.
And so on and so on.

6 comments:

nick said...

Hmm, don't see how the government can sell guilt. They never admit to having any.

James Higham said...

Stay calm, girl.

Now, do you realize that something's gone wrong with your link from comments? Some Joomla thing comes up instead of your site.

Furtheron said...

I generally avoid listen to either Radio4 or Radio5 at all these days for the reason that virtually all the presenters on there make me want to throw things at the radio... what happened to presenters who told you the story and interviewed someone about it? now they all have some bloody point to prove and the questioning is down right rude sometimes. I know MPs will avoid the point and answer in a party polictical way - that is what they are paid to do...

Anyway on another tack... some years back I worked for the Bank of England - yes I know worrying isn't it... btw I had just left when Black Monday happened.

Anyway I used to work on a lot of the guilt systems so we knew who was buying and selling it and how much and for how much. Mrs Thatcher bought back most of the guilt the govts of the 70s had sold but then when Major came in he started off loading it again. I own some myself somewhere I know I do... :-)

Liz Hinds said...

That's true, nick. "S'not my fault!"

My link from comments? What does that mean, james? Not that I wuld know how to fix it anyway.


So it's all your fault then, furtheron?

Leslie: said...

That does sound irritating (TV news) but I enjoy watching it here and often flip from one channel to another to see each point of view.

Anonymous said...

Never put all your eggs in one basket. Best to balance your portfolio with a bit of hate, shame, envy, pride and malice.