Monday, March 16, 2009

Monochrome Monday

For Monochrome Monday this week, I have a photo of a sketch.It was done by the artist, Frank Brangwyn, in preparation for the huge vividly-coloured panels he was commissioned, in 1924, to paint for the House of Lords in London. Five panels were completed but when displayed in the Royal Gallery became the subject of public controversy and criticism. They were turned down as being too colourful and lively, and now have a home in Swansea, in the Brangwyn Hall.


To take part in Monochrome Monday, go here.
xx



8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fairplay, Liz - B&W does not do justice to Brangwyn.

Gledwood said...

I were going to say: sketch is well better than't artist who wrote/drew "How to Draw Anything" book i got out ot charity shop t'other day. That were well crap! (Tut book were: your sketch is well good, aye!)

Daryl said...

Nice .. and I can imagine how colorful it must be .. I like the sketch a lot!

Rune Eide said...

We shall be glad that tastes change and that they were taken care of elsewhere.

Liz Hinds said...

No, I prefer the sketches to the murals, aileni!

You've gone northern again, gleds!

I like the sketches very much, daryl.

Indeed, runee.

Carver said...

Those are wonderful sketches. Interesting post too.

Anonymous said...

Very interesting sketch Liz....

Dragonstar said...

I love the sketch Liz. Somehow (although I'm sure Aileni would disagree!) I see more in a pencil sketch. The finished works seem too large and overpowering.
But then, I've always loved pencil sketches!