Saturday, March 28, 2009

Blogging in the dark

It's not easy blogging in the dark. If I'd been better prepared I'd have had more candles ready but being a bit out of touch with reality I only found out about Earth Hour at 7.45 pm.

From WWF's website:
WWF’s Earth Hour 2009 has one major aim - for people to unite and make a bold statement about their concerns about climate change, showing the world’s leaders that it is possible to take positive action.

On Saturday 28 March 2009 at 8.30 pm, we want a billion people across the world to turn off their lights for an hour - for WWF’s Earth Hour. Homes, businesses and iconic landmarks in more than 1,000 cities will go dark, sending a truly dramatic message to world leaders - simply by turning their lights off.


WWF Earth Hour

As far as I'm concerned it's a good wake-up call. Our house frequently resembles a lighthouse, with lights burning in every room. It's a waste of money and resources and turning off a light is simple. So why don't we do it?

But it's jolly difficult typing by candlelight!

7 comments:

nick said...

Hang on, how do we actually know how many people turned their lights off for an hour? How do you know whether I did? And how about we start with all those office buildings that have the lights blazing all night?

I'd use more low-energy bulbs if it wasn't for the fact that they take several minutes to reach full power....

Liz Hinds said...

People signed up to switch off and I guess if they were that committed they would. Those bulbs are annoying but I guess the technology will improve with demand.

Berni said...

I didn't know it was today, oh well going without water is enough without lights as well.

Puss-in-Boots said...

Yes, I turned my lights off and I too, found it rather difficult to type by candlelight. Still it was nice to have the lights off and know it wasn't through a power cut.

Anonymous said...

By burning candles you increase your carbon footprint by a factor of three.

It is all dangerous rubbish.

CherryPie said...

Does it count that I was out and no lights were on?

Liz Hinds said...

WE'll let you off, vic grace!

A good excuse for a party really, puss!

Tee hee, I knew you'd object, aileni! As I said, it wasn't about using candles instead of electricity; in my case it was a reminder to turn out lights when rooms aren't being used. And to be less wasteful of our planet's resources.

Definitely, cherrypie!