Saturday, March 28, 2009

Blogging in the dark

It's not easy blogging in the dark. If I'd been better prepared I'd have had more candles ready but being a bit out of touch with reality I only found out about Earth Hour at 7.45 pm.

From WWF's website:
WWF’s Earth Hour 2009 has one major aim - for people to unite and make a bold statement about their concerns about climate change, showing the world’s leaders that it is possible to take positive action.

On Saturday 28 March 2009 at 8.30 pm, we want a billion people across the world to turn off their lights for an hour - for WWF’s Earth Hour. Homes, businesses and iconic landmarks in more than 1,000 cities will go dark, sending a truly dramatic message to world leaders - simply by turning their lights off.


WWF Earth Hour

As far as I'm concerned it's a good wake-up call. Our house frequently resembles a lighthouse, with lights burning in every room. It's a waste of money and resources and turning off a light is simple. So why don't we do it?

But it's jolly difficult typing by candlelight!

8 comments:

nick said...

Hang on, how do we actually know how many people turned their lights off for an hour? How do you know whether I did? And how about we start with all those office buildings that have the lights blazing all night?

I'd use more low-energy bulbs if it wasn't for the fact that they take several minutes to reach full power....

Liz said...

People signed up to switch off and I guess if they were that committed they would. Those bulbs are annoying but I guess the technology will improve with demand.

Vic Grace said...

I didn't know it was today, oh well going without water is enough without lights as well.

Puss-in-Boots said...

Yes, I turned my lights off and I too, found it rather difficult to type by candlelight. Still it was nice to have the lights off and know it wasn't through a power cut.

Aileni said...

By burning candles you increase your carbon footprint by a factor of three.

It is all dangerous rubbish.

CherryPie said...

Does it count that I was out and no lights were on?

Liz said...

WE'll let you off, vic grace!

A good excuse for a party really, puss!

Tee hee, I knew you'd object, aileni! As I said, it wasn't about using candles instead of electricity; in my case it was a reminder to turn out lights when rooms aren't being used. And to be less wasteful of our planet's resources.

Definitely, cherrypie!

LAN said...

puma mens shoes
puma shoes
puma speed
nike shoes
nike air
nike air shoes
nike air max 90
nike air max 95
nike air max tn
nike air rift
nike shox r4
nike air max 360
nike shox nz
puma cat
air max trainers
mens nike air max
sports shoes
nike air rifts
nike air rift trainer
nike air
nike shoes air max
nike shoes shox
air shoes
Lucyliu IS Lucyliu
nike shoe cart
puma future
cheap puma
nike rift
jeans shop
diesel jeans
levis jeans
nike rift shoes
cheap nike air rifts
bape shoes