Thursday, November 27, 2008

For what?

I was thinking about the Whooping Cranes - it makes me smile just reading the name: I imagine them flying along going, 'Whoop! Whoop! Whoop!'

Operation Migration has been running for 7 years. It must be expensive and time-consuming and for what? To try and save a species from extinction. It's not even as if, as far as I know, we get any benefit from the cranes: we don't eat them or use their feathers for quill pens. They're just one species out of thousands.

And that makes me happy. That some people care enough to invest time, expertise and money for no financial reward. When we're in such gloomy times and every day it seems we hear of humans doing horrific things to children, it is life-enhancing to remember that the bad guys are in the minority; that the majority of people are good - and some even loopy enough to dress up in sheets with bird-head puppets on their hands.

3 comments:

Anna said...

Ahh, this is a nice post. That is a nice thought, that some people are loopy enough to wear bird puppets to save the chicks.

Dragonstar said...

Most people are kind and thoughtful, it's just the few who aren't.

Leslie: said...

I wish all people would treat all others the way some people treat animals. I mean the good way.