Monday, November 17, 2008

Flashing away

We decided we'd walk on the the beach in the bay as dusk was drawing in when we went out. We - okay, George - I thought it would be less muddy and it was but significantly more exposed. Walking towards Swansea was fine but walking back into the wind and rain was less pleasant. I'll go further and say it was horrid! I was wet through to my wotsits.

But I did do a bit of jogging (impressed?!). The beach is flat and was unsurprisingly empty so I thought, 'good opportunity to limber up for circuit training tonight.' But I had to stop. George didn't like it. (That's my excuse anyway.) He doesn't like me to do things out of the usual; he prefers my predictable plod.

He enjoyed himself though chasing sticks and birds who waited until he was a few feet away before taking off and coming to land again some yards away.

Just off Mumbles Head we have the Mixon sands where a bell is anchored as a warning to sailors. Tonight the wind must have been in just the right direction as I could hear it clearly. And it was just as well that it was ringing loudly as the mist made the light from the lighthouse almost impossible to see. Although I don't suppose many ships rely on a man up a pole with spy-glass any longer. They probably have radar and sonar and all that new-fangled technology.


I expect you know that lighthouses all have their own distinct flash. Ours goes flash .. flash .. flash .. flash followed by a long pause before it starts again.


Incidentally, now and again, the Mixon sands, which are to the right of the lighthouse in the picture, are uncovered for a short period. In 1957, local community leaders landed on the sandbank and had tea there. It must have been a quick cup of tea as the sandbank was submerged again within 20 minutes.

Photo from The Mixture by Harry Libby, published about 1963.

15 comments:

Mean Mom said...

I love walking, but, you're right, it's not so much fun in the rain. It drizzled when I went out today and the cold air crept inside my jeans and made my legs sore. Time to get the long knickers out.

Good photos and very impressed with the jogging.

Quite tickled at the thought of those people having a cup of tea on the exposed sands. What else could they have done in 20 minutes, I wonder?

Sandra Evertson said...

What a beautiful place! Like something right out of a fairy tale!
Sandra Evertson

Leslie: said...

Okay, I'm impressed by your jogging. :p

I don't like walking in the rain, either, especially if it's also windy. yuck!

Beautiful photo of the lighthouse!

Dragonstar said...

Ugh. Don't like getting cold and wet.
Love that story!

Roan said...

I don't like to be out in cold rain. Nice shot, though. Loved the history lesson.

sally in norfolk said...

god how i could do with a walk along the beach right now with the wind blowing through my hair ..... maybe on wednesday :-)

Anonymous said...

I don't mind rainy walks on beaches.
I love lighthouses :0)



my blog, you really do need educating :0)

CherryPie said...

I don't do walking in the wind and rain!!!

Rose said...

I'm impressed too with your jogging! The only time I jog is when Coconut starts to chase a squirrel across the lawn, and I'm afraid he might run into the road. Afterwards, I have to sit down for awhile.

I'm not sure I could have boiled water for tea and set up a table in 20 minutes:)

Happy anniversary to George! What would your life be without him?!

Anonymous said...

I've landed my airplane on the airfield at Barra (an island in Scotland) :-)

So what, you ask?

Well the 'airfield' at Barra is only there at low tide! It is an offshore sandbank. You need to land at Oban first and consult the tidetables before proceeding.

Offload your passengers and get out quickly!

Anonymous said...

I remember something very vaguely about the trip to Mixon sands - but I was probably in Cyprus. I see they poured from a jug and had one cup... no time to boil a kettle.
It is the foghorn I remember most strongly. The desolate sound of a bell buoy from Port Eynon.
It isn't so bad if you are dressed for it - but too much can get wearing, believe me. Been there,etc.

Suburbia said...

I had no idea that each lighthouse had its own 'flash'!

Better weather today here.

Anonymous said...

I hate that kind of weather, where you get wet through to your wotsits! But I loved this bit - ' But I had to stop. George didn't like it' LOL!

I did know that about lighthouses and their unique flashes, but I'd forgotten it. ;)

jmb said...

Well despite all the high fallutin' flash equipment an overnight ferry car ferry sank here in 2006! Two people were drowned.

Isn't that amazing?

Better weather tomorrow I hope.

Liz Hinds said...

MM, not fun when it's right in your face! Long knickers? Yes, you're right, that's what i need.

It is beautiful, sandra. Thanks for visiting.

leslie, you wouldn't have been im pressed if you'd seen me!

dragonstar, I don't usually mind walking in the rain as long as i'm prepared.

b.roan, thanks.

Hope you get your walk soon, sally.

amanad, it's you and furtheron, you talk about these obscure people ...

Wise woman, cherrypie!

Sitting down is always good, rose.

I assume you have to take off again quickly as well, stu.

Drying a constant stream of wet clothes on the island must have been hard, aileni.

Seems nice here today, too, suburbia.

Well, I didn't want to upset George by carrying on, jay!

That's true, jmb. Sometimes it just takes a man with eyes to spot a problem.