Friday, July 04, 2008

Romantic gestures

I've moaned a lot about Husband recently and his lack of romanticism. He's not one for small romantic gestures but I suppose neither am I. I may buy him a bottle of wine or a book from a charity shop (last of the big spenders, me) if I spot something I think he'll like, but we tend to express our love in more mundane little ways every day. But I don't want you to go thinking that Husband doesn't have a romantic bone in his body. He just prefers to save up the small spontaneous gestures and blow it all on the big ones.

As I said, we've been married thirty years. In that time there've been three BIG romantic gestures from Husband, roughly spaced at ten year intervals (he has to build himself up to it slowly ...)

Number one occurred one Christmas when the children were small. I opened a parcel and found a box of Maltesers. Yummy, my favourites. But when I opened the box there was a diamond ring inside. Pretty cool, eh?


The third - I'll come back to the second - took place a few Christmases ago when somehow Husband managed to get Betty Beetle onto the drive for Christmas morning for me without me suspecting a thing!


The second chronologically-speaking was absolutely the best and, I think, unsurpassable.

One Sunday afternoon, he returned home and walked into the kitchen holding in his arms the bundle of fluff that was to be known as Harvey.

The dog we'd had before had been rather snappy and couldn't be trusted with the children's friends, so we found her a new home on a smallholding. When she went, I was so upset Husband said we were never going to have another dog. I had no idea he was investigating possibilities until he walked in through the door, and brought Harvey into our lives, where he was to remain for the next fourteen and a bit years. And in our hearts forever.


I love my husband.

13 comments:

Suburbia said...

OK so I'm jealous! What lovely gifts, romantic indeed, lucky girl :)

jmb said...

Well I have been married for 47 years and I don't think I could come up with three romantic gestures. Still he has other good points I suppose otherwise why would we still be married?

Anonymous said...

So...the way to this woman's heart is with a puppy dog via a box of Maltesers with the odd rock hard centre? Have a lovely holiday you two xxx Shirl & Lola & Pete

Dragonstar said...

Oh, that's lovely! I'm having a happy weep all over my keyboard!

Anonymous said...

3 really wonderful presents over the years - whats a bit of extra postage on a large card eh!!
We will have been married for 40yrs in September (yeh ... child bride) and although he is not overly romantic he does have a heart of gold and I wouldn't change him for anything.
Here's looking at your next 10yr present on your 40th anniversary.
Wendy (Wales)

CherryPie said...

Oooh that just made me cry xx

:-)

Rose said...

How sweet, Liz! This just made me think--my husband forgets birthdays, anniversaries, etc. But every once in awhile he will surprise me. His theory is that if he gives me presents all the time, that I'll just get used to it and expect them. So when he does think to do something, I'm overwhelmed.

Elsie said...

When husband does it, he does it big. Good for him and for you! His coming home with Harvey as a surprise is just wonderful! I always knew Harvey was a great dog and how much you loved him, and now I understand more completely why.

Anonymous said...

Those three things your husband did for you are definitely very "heart-uplifting". He seems to be a sweet man...uhm, not so sweet though. I think he needs to improve his romantic side a little bit more. If you were to ask for my opinion, I must say that doing those three sweet acts with quite long intervals are somewhat uncool. Tell your hubby about that. He probably needs to know what women want.

Barbara said...

I have always dreamed of someone bringing me a puppy but it has never happened. Your romantic gestures maybe few but at least you can treasure them.

Susan said...

That is why we love them~just when we think there is no hope for our other half they go and do something amazing!

Furtheron said...

Three!!! Bloody hell one every 10 years.... I never signed up for that! :-)

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Very romantic, all of them. Harvey will always be in the hearts of your readers, too.