Sunday, July 27, 2008

Revenge of the Bees

They came back this afternoon. In the quiet of the day, as the sun was on its downward path and the simmering heat shimmered off the paving stones, they gathered. Slowly at first they arrived, one, then another and another until the air was black with fury. And then the whisper came, 'We - shall - be - revenged.'

Then one of the little buzzers stung me on the tip of my ear!

I did a very good impression of someone who has been stung by a bee. Ooh, ah, hop, jump, scream, hold ear, jump a bit more, 'do something!', oohhh, ooooo, 'it hurts', oh, oh, oh, oh, 'why did he do that?', eee, aah, ooo, ow, 'what do I do?', hop, hop, ooooohhhhh.

(For information: on being stung by a bee, having got the above procedure out of the way, remove the sting and then apply an ice pack. According to the net, none of the folk remedies, including a bicarb paste, work.)

The good news is that I did 100 lengths this afternoon!
That is very good for me but not quite as impressive as it might sound as:
a) it's a dwtty pool;
b) I had to stop every few ends to throw George's ball or have a kiss.

11 comments:

Dragonstar said...

Awwwwww!!! That's such a sweet picture! George is so lovely.

Rose said...

I was going to ask the meaning of dwtty, then noticed in your glossary on the sidebar--how thoughtful of you! Loved the beginning of this post (well, all of it, really)--sounds like the opening paragraphs of a great mystery novel:)
I've had one bee sting in my life time--they hurt!

CherryPie said...

That is unlucky bees don't sting very often...

That picture is just so wonderful, I especially love your smile :-)

CalumCarr said...

I don't think you're taking your exercise as seriously as you should. :-) You're not meant to enjoy the interruptions.

CalumCarr said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Susan said...

This picture shows that George has no bad feelings toward you with regard to his surgery! Sweet picture!

Katney said...

One remedy that DOES work is meat tenderizer. Really. The papayin in it draws the stinginess out. Apply it like the bicarb paste that doesn't work.

Leslie: said...

Did he jump in with you? I should have thought he would, as he loves the water so much! :D

Liz Hinds said...

Thank you, dragonstar!

Thank you to, Rose. I don't think I've had a bee sting before: i think I would have remembered the pain!!

THis one was personal, cherrypie!

I'd drown if I didn't have interruptions, calum!

susan, maybe ... I'm not sure.

For a moment, katney, I thought you meant a hammer!

No, he hasn't jumped in yet, leslie. He's quite good. Harvey used to run round barking but george just potters from end to end.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Wonderful pic!

Suburbia said...

Liz, he didn't want a kiss, he just wanted to put that lampshade on your head! Now you know how it feels ;)