Wednesday, July 02, 2008

L'Etape

Every year amateur cyclists are given the opportunity to ride a stage of the Tour de France. Not the same time as the professionals but a few days before I believe. This year L'Etape takes place on Sunday (6th July) in the Pyrenees, when about 8,000 riders will have the chance to cycle 102 miles up mountains.
One of those doing this mad deed is Son-in-law. Daughter fears she will be widowed and has insisted that we go out and keep her company while she stresses. So we have an apartment in Pau for the week. We fly out on Saturday (S-i-l flies out earlier) and after Sunday is done and dusted we can enjoy the rest of the week in the French countryside, eating delicious French bread and cheese and, in everyone else's case, drinking luscious French wine.
Lourdes is nearby and we're hoping to get over to Biarritz too. But mostly it's going to be about relaxing.
In the meantime, Daughter and S-i-l are worried because:
a) S-i-l works in a small lab and two people working there with him are full of snuffly colds;
b) there is a problem with the bike.
If you're a pray-er, please spare a prayer for s-i-l (Steve) for good health and a repaired and safe and roadworthy bike. He's trained long and hard for this event. Please pray for his safety on Sunday during L'Etape too. Thank you.
xx

12 comments:

Dragonstar said...

I'll keep him in my thoughts.

Enjoy your break - but what about Dr Who?

Lindsay said...

Good luck to son in law in France. What is happening to George?

Susan said...

Sending prayers to all! My husband cycles and competed before marriage and enjoys the sport. That is quite the journey you sil is taking. Good Luck and Best wishes. Will George be posting while your away?

Anna said...

Um, do you think I am going to be WIDOWED? I am allowed to think these things, but other people are not allowed to recognise them!

Anonymous said...

"LOURDES IS NEARBY"

But that only works for Catholics, surely? ;-)

Anonymous said...

I am sure s-i-l will be fine - he's strong and fit so he'll shake the cold off faster than any of the rest of us could. Have a lovely time en France.

Anna - your mother was over-dramatising for effect - not to be taken literally. He'll be fine and make you proud. Have a lovely time en France (with said mother etc).

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

Good luck to your son-in-law...your all in my prayers.

Hope that you have a great time in France.

Katney said...

What an exciting adventure. We see cyclists going up the mountain roads on every trip. I think they are nuts. But everyone must have his own adventure style. Have a good time and the best to him on his part of the journey.

Barbara said...

I will be thinking about him, how exciting to see some of the Tour de France, I usually watch on TV as I like to see the French countryside.

Liz Hinds said...

Dragonstar, we'll record it and hope that the recording works this time!

lindsay, Younger Son is looking after him.

susan, thanks. no, george is strictly forbidden!

of course not, you twit!

Ah but I have to get a suitable souvenir for our office holiday tack shelf, stu ...

THank you, lola and Anne.

katney, nuts I agree!


starnitesky, if I see a television camera I will jump up and down and wave frantically so look out for me!

Anonymous said...

Very good luck to him. It is the sort of thing where, if you can finish, you can feel good about it.

Suburbia said...

Wow, my ex was a cyclist and the tour is such a big event. I love to watch it (old habbits die hard) so good luck to him and hope you have a great weekend (oh my you are going to the south of France!)