Thursday, July 03, 2008

Ladies only

'I've been bleaching my upper lip for years,' my friend said, while looking pointedly at my moustache.

That was about six months ago. About three months later I bought myself a hair lightening kit and yesterday I finally got round to doing the deed. I had this awful fear that 'something will go wrong.' I'm not sure exactly what I thought would happen. Something too terrible to describe. So doing it just before I went on holiday probably wasn't the best idea ...

But it was fine. It tingled a bit when I put it on and I anticipated a bright red upper lip but all is well. Now if I could just get rid of the beard too.

Husband said I was the only one who could see a moustache but you know what it's like when you get an idea into your head: a faint shadow becomes a handlebar.

I say 'you know what it's like', but maybe it's just me ...

While on womanly things, tell me, do any of those creams work for you?

I have a cupboard full of anti-ageing creams. Everyone from Jane Fonda to Andie Macdowell swears by them; 99% of women who use them see a difference. I'm in the 1%.

Of course they might be more effective if, instead of leaving them in the cupboard, I actually used them ...

Or perhaps I've just left it too late.

And another thing. When oh when will manufacturers of anti-ageing products realise that women who buy them are on the slippery downward slope? Everything is either drooping or failing. So, I'm asking product designers from L'Oreal, Garnier, Nivea, Olay, and the rest (who all read my blog on a daily basis) to USE BIG WRITING on the box.

9 comments:

Dragonstar said...

Yes, but they don't want to use BIG WRITING to tell us that it might work if only we'd started using it in our teens!
I'm at the stage now when it's not worth considering anything less than a full-body transplant, so what they offer probably wouldn't work. You're right though - the various potions in my collection have more chance of working if I actually use them!

Elsie said...

Bleaching? Yuk. Did your invisible moustache become more so? Don't you just love it when family and/or friends point out our flaws? I'm sure you look wonderful.

Now about those creams -- none ever work for me, and I think I've tried them all. That was until I tried Olay Regenerist 14 Day Skin Intervention. I swear it's the first thing where I've actually seen a difference. It's a kit that comes with 14 little tubes of cream. Use one every night and that's that. Then you're supposed to do it again in three months, which I definitely will. Definite improvement in sagging and wrinkles. Of course, I did actually use it!

"You're not getting older, you're getting better."

MissKris said...

That's why I've stayed 'natural' all these years. Age is going to catch me one way or another, so I figure I'll let it come on as gracefully - and at its own pace - as I can. Oh, and the hair issue?! I don't even want to talk about it, HA!

Anonymous said...

Shirl now swears by and uses exclusively Liz Earle's products. She says the Cleanse and Polish is divine and so easy, the creams are lovely and nothing is OTT expensive. Package is simple; ethos is environmentally friendly. Sold in some John Lewis stores and on QVC. Or online - just google Liz Earle. You won't look back! Email Shirl for more. Not an ad!

Lindsay said...

I agree with MissKriss - grow old gracefully with no intervention of expensive creams, pills and potions. My own personal theory is the less make-up you use the more your skin gets to breathe. I use absolutely nothing. Husband says I am cheap to run!

Rose said...

When I was a little girl there was an elderly lady who went to our church who had a full-grown white mustache. I always stared at her and wondered how that could be...now I know. No lightening creams for me, just some hair removal cream that my daughters recommended--make that insisted--I use. As for the age-"defying" creams, I can't recommend anything specific as I, too, usually use them once or twice and then leave them on the shelf. Right now I'm more concerned with the middle-aged spread creeping around my middle than I am the wrinkles on my face!

By the way, I'm the weird one who reads from the bottom up. So comments on earlier posts: Poor George; I hope he doesn't itch too much.
Good luck to Son-in-law; that is quite an ambitious undertaking.

And Toby (and I) thank you for your kind comments.

Have a great time in France!

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

With you on big writing!

Suburbia said...

Where do you stand on nostril hair?!!

mrsnesbitt said...

A few months ago I received some of the age stuff cream, the one which Jane Fona promotes, as a sample in a magazine. I put some on my face and in a matter of minutes my eyes were watering and my skin was itching...I have such sensitive skin and prefer to leave it to the elements! Now and again I may put some light moisturizer on but that's all. I don't do make up either! or slap as hubby calls it! LOL!