Thursday, July 17, 2008

I am very excited!

I've just come to the first big revelation in my novel.

That's the one I'm writing I mean. Bits of information have been feeding out but this is a major shock for the heroine as well as the readers.

It's written in her voice and, oh, I could slap her uncle. He is such a ... well, anyway. It's amazing I've got this far having to leap up every five minutes to yell at George who has a new favourite escape route. When I make him stay in, he comes and sits by my chair and pushes his head under my arm and into my hand and looks wide-eyed at me. So I have to stop and tell him he's beautiful and give him a cuddle and a grape, and then, hard-heartedly push him away. Oh, evil woman!

He escaped this morning. He was playing in the terrier's garden. The American terrier-owner said, 'I'm sure he has other redeeming features but he sure is one dumb dog.'
I would have listed those redeeming features but it's hard to think when you're in your nightie and your hair's all on end. But at least I had my knickers on which is an improvement over earlier in the week.

So, anyway, I'm feeling good about my novel today. I have to record this to remind myself on those days when I say, 'You are useless. Whatever makes you think you can write? This is rubbish.'

It won't actually help but it's the sort of thing 'Write-a-Novel' books tell aspiring writers to do. Probably. I've never read a 'Write-a-Novel' book. Maybe that's where I'm going wrong.

Novel number 2 is completely different from novel number 1, which was a much-rejected light-hearted granny-lit novel. This one's all misery, madness and death, much more my style. I'm torn. I edit till I'm sick of the sight of my own writing and I go back and change things all the time. But, given my previous experience, should I start sending off the first few chapters of my manuscript for rejection now? Will it make any difference?

18 comments:

Sackerson said...

I've read that the pro approach to getting published is to write the first 3 chapters and do a summary for the rest. On the other hand, the more you write the nearer you get to finding your own voice and material, I guess.

Anonymous said...

I really liked the sound of the light-hearted granny-lit novel!
Perhaps George will feature in your current one - he gives you plenty of material (bits of wood and all) Good luck.
Wendy (Wales)

CherryPie said...

If you send the chapters off you will get feedback, but as Sackerson said the more you do the more you get your thoughts on paper without external interference/influence!

Suburbia said...

Be brave and have faith in yourself.

By the way, do you peel Georges grape before you give it to him?!!

Daily Referendum said...

Good luck and keep up the hard work. If it gets published it will be all worth it.

Dragonstar said...

I know how easy it is to get totally discouraged, but KEEP GOING!!! That's the most important thing of all. Keep going!

By the way - do you often converse with neighbours without your knickers on?

sally in norfolk said...

all these bloggers writing books....

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Well done, Liz, and I totally agree about "thinking in your nightie" - can't be done. How dare that man call gorgeous George a dumb dog?!

Anonymous said...

well done and don't give up.

i don't own a nightie.

Puss-in-Boots said...

I'm so glad you had your knickers on when you went after George!

Yes, I too have heard that you submit the first three chapters and a synopsis of the rest of the book...give it try, you just never no.

I rather like the sound of all that madness and mayhem, so hurry up and finish and let me can read it.

Good Luck!

Furtheron said...

Please please please don't read the book on how to do it. I think too many people now only succeed through the "this is the route" method. I love to hear of people having success without all that.

Anonymous said...

An actor friend of mine - another Swansea boy - once told me success was 1% talent 99% luck. If it's miserable, I might do well.
You need a custom built caged run with a dog-flap to the house for George.
Pity vets don't do 'maturity jabs'.

Rose said...

No advice on the novel here from the lady who keeps re-writing page 1 over and over again. Just keep at it!

How dare your neighbor call George "dumb." On behalf of all Americans, I apologize for such a rude person who doesn't immediately see all of George's wonderful qualities.

Can Bass 1 said...

Ah, now I think I understand your doubts as to my empirical reality. I didn't know you were a novelist. Jolly good show!

Liz Hinds said...

Sackerson, that is the dilemma.

THank you, wendy! George won't be featuring in this one - although he might just have a cameo role ...

cherrypie, I've found that you get very little feedback when you submit manuscripts.

suburbia, no, of course I don't peel grapes for him! Do you think I am silly?!

daily ref, it would inded be worth it.

dragonstar, no, they were strangers.

sally, but few getting published ...

welshcakes, quite, george has many wonderful qualities. Love to simi too!

hippy mama, too much information!

I like to wear my knicekers at night too usually when husband is away. I mean ... no, I'll stop now!

furtheron, when i am successful you will be on my guest list to my launch party!

aileni, that's the way I'm thinking too. If I could bring in a bit of child abuse too, it would be a sure seller it seems. Sadly.

THank you, rose, george and I accept the apology!

can bass, I am a wannabe novelist!

Anonymous said...

Does your neighbour not realize that George is still a puppy, and has every right to be daft? Grr! How dare she!!! Young George looks adorable - even if he does eat chairs and dedicate his life to being an escape artist.

Anonymous said...

Ooh - I forgot to say - the Welsh Books Council offers a free manuscript assessment service to writers in Wales - just click here for more info. I've considered using them myself.

cheshire wife said...

Writing in a nightie and no knickers sounds like you need an advance so that you can buy some clothes.