Saturday, July 12, 2008

How I know I'm home

I've been to Sainsburys.

We got home. Younger Son said, 'Welcome back. Did you have a good holiday? When are you going shopping? There's no food in the house.'

So I'm loading the shopping into the car when I find a garlic bulb in the bottom of the trolley. An unpaid-for garlic bulb. 'Oh fiddle,' I think, 'I spend enough here: they can't begrudge me a bit of garlic.' I threw it in a bag in the boot, returned the trolley to the trolley-park, got in the car and put the key in the ignition. I ate half a banana, took the key out of the ignition, got out of the car, retrieved the garlic from the boot and took it back to the shop.
'I found this in my trolley and I haven't paid for it,' I said to the girl on customer service.
'I wish everyone was like you,' she said.

I left 35p poorer but with a warm glow.

I'm home.

9 comments:

Susan said...

Glad your back and I hope that all is well.Can't wait to her all about your trip!

Suburbia said...

Oh you're back, you're back!!
How was it? did you have a great time?
Funny how a trip to Sainsburys can bring you back down to earth!
How's George? Did he miss you?

CherryPie said...

Aww! glad you feel good and welcome back :-)

Lindsay said...

There is nothing like a supermarket shopping chore - it immediately brings you back down to earth!

jams o donnell said...

Welcome back Liz. A couple of times I've left Sainsburys with a bag of cat litter hanging on the trolley's bag hook. The last tiem the trolley wouldn't give me back my pound coin so I decided we were quits!

MissKris said...

I've done that many times myself, finding something unpaid for and going back in to pay for it. This brought to mind the time I took our taxes in to an accountant. I was doing house cleaning to make a little extra money thru the year, back when the kids were small. I'd made a grand total of something like $460. When I showed it to the gentleman he said, "I wished you'd never let me see that." I asked him why. He said because those were the type of wages most people just swept under the carpet and never claimed. And it was sooooo small...hardly worth the extra money he'd have to charge me to do the paperwork. I told him, "Well, I'm a Christian and I can't do that. I report everything I make." He gave me a looooooooong look and said, "Well, I don't imagine YOU have a hard time pillowing your head at nite!" Haha! Welcome back, dear friend! (((((HUG))))

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Welcome back, Liz. Yes, how's George?

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you're home. {{Liz}}

Furtheron said...

A very telling tale - about you and the kind of person you are.

Very admirable. When we stayed in Wales earlier in the year we ended up being moved hotels as the one we were booked in needed a refurb. When we checked out the girl didn't charge us right - I was about £100 better off. I sat in the car and checked the bill then went back in and explained and she couldn't believe I owned up to it. But I would have to live with the guilt of knowing I benefited through someone elses innocent mistake and she may have been punished for making that as well. I don't live my life like that.