Husband brought The Times home for me again last week. No naked rugby players this time but an article on Getting More Efficiency out of Women. Originally published in 1943, this guide was intended to help male supervisors of a female workforce. I thought you - especially any male bosses out there - might like to hear a few of the tips.
3. "Husky" girls, those who are a little on the heavy side, are more even-tempered and efficient than their underweight sisters.
6. Give the female employee a definite day-long schedule of duties so that she will keep busy without bothering the management for instructions every few minutes. ... women make excellent workers when they have their jobs cut out for them, but lack initiative in finding work for themselves.
8. Give every girl an adequate number of rest periods during the day. A girl has more confidence and is more efficient if she can keep her hair tidied, apply fresh lipstick and wash her hands several times a day.
9. Be tactful when issuing instructions or in making criticisms. Women are often sensitive ... Never ridicule a woman -it breaks her spirit and cuts off her efficiency.
11. Get enough size variety in operators' uniforms. This point can't be stressed too much in keeping women happy.