Friday, March 07, 2008

My treasures

I shouldn't be allowed out. I've got enough junk of my own; why do I feel compelled to buy other people's?

First up, these pretty plates. I bought these because ... they're pretty. There are three of Royal Albert Sweet Violets design and they're just perfect for afternoon tea, aren't they? I could just picture one with a piece of Victoria sponge on it.
Next, two pale blue storage jars. Daughter has some similar ones in her kitchen so I bought them with her in mind. If she doesn't want them, I'll find a use for them.
Finally, something I've never seen before: a butter softener. I had to ask the lady in the shop how it works. Apparently you put the butter in the dish and then pour hot water into the cover and the heat softens the butter. 'And it works,' she assured me. Again it's something that would look more at home in Daughter's cottage kitchen but I will have to try it out.
And all these bargains for less than £6. It could be worse. I could have a compulsion to shop in Debenhams.
P.S. Why is it so hard to lay-out photos in Blogger?

8 comments:

Andrea said...

Beautiful pieces you have here. I am trying to downsize and get rid of some stuff. How do we seem to accumalate so much through the years? LOL

Anna said...

The butter softener sounds like a genius idea and I like the cool decoration on the front! find me some violet plates too please.

CherryPie said...

You seem to have done OK laying the photos out :-)

sally in norfolk said...

Plates would look great filled with my Muffins :-)

jmb said...

I dare not go near these places else I'll bring home some "bargain" to fit into my already crowded house.
I want that butter softener too.

When I upload photos now I always centre them. If you want to put them to the left and have the text wrap around them you have to use only the small image. But I hardly ever put them left or right now, which I did a lot in the beginning.

Gledwood said...

Wow Liz you have similar taste to me ... only slightly less camp in the plate decoration stakes (I like 2 kinds of plate: OK, then 3. funkily decorated, really "nicely" done in an old lady Victorian type way (as I posted up my "ideal" Wedgwood once)... and third: absolutely blank!

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

I'd have bought all of those and I think you've done well with the photo layout!

dabrah said...

I could use a butter softener, does it have a manufacturer's name on the underside? I agree with you about laying out photos in blogger. I think the problem is that the new post/edit page is a different width to the actual blog page, so it's hard for us to match it up.