Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Is there a first aider in the house?

Steve, who runs Breakout, an outdoor adventure organisation, is teaching first aid to Big Issue vendors in Swansea, using Zac's Place as a base.

He was telling me that the dummies they use have different faces that can be changed around. I asked if you could choose the sex of your dummy too. Steve said, 'No, they're all male. The females cost a lot more.' I didn't ask any more.

But I couldn't help picturing a street scene.

A man collapses and his wife screams, 'help me, please. My husband's had a heart attack.'
The Big Issue vendor who is nearby rushes over. 'Step aside, I can do mouth to mouth.'
The woman looks at him. 'I don't think so; I don't know where you've been.'

* * * * * * * * *

Imagine having such a habit that the only place you can still inject is your neck. And you're seventeen.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I have always found those practice dummies to be a turn-off. Of course, it’s been many years since I’ve practiced on one and I can but imagine what modern technology has done to them.

CherryPie said...

I would have had to ask the question!!!

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

I'm with cherrypie - I'll spwnd all day wondering now!