Tuesday, February 05, 2008

A significant date

Today is the anniversary of my mum's death; it's also, and more importantly, Pancake Day!

Now I thought carefully before writing that sentence. As I said, I write my posts in my head and I was in the shower thinking about this one. Do I sound callous? I can't honestly say I feel anything about my mother's death. (But then I don't do feeling very well.) I've seen other bloggers write with great tenderness and love about deceased parents and envied them - have I? I don't even know if that's true apart from the fact that I would have liked an Enid Blyton childhood.

It's 36 years since my mother died. Although I was 19 at the time, I hardly knew her. She had to go out to work to support us and it was really my grandmother who brought me up. (My mum and I lived with my grandparents.)

Even my memories of her are based on what other people have told me: how lovely she was, what a sense of fun she had. The only things I remember with any clarity are times when she told me off! Now, wouldn't a psychiatrist have fun with that?!

Now this is way too miserable. Let's think about pancakes instead!!!!

4 comments:

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

A very honest post.

mdmhvonpa said...

Pancakes it is!

Leslie: said...

I'm able now to get through the anniversary of my Mom's death with a simple thought of her and feel good knowing she's in a better place. And then...we move on to PANCAKES!!!

jmb said...

Well it's sad that you lost your Mum when you were so young because maybe you would have become friends as adults. Too bad you don't remember some fun stuff yourself.