Tuesday, January 01, 2008

A very happy New Year to one and all!

We celebrated the New Year with friends and cocktails, coq au vin and champagne. I meant to take photos of the food - but forgot - that came from the latest Sainsburys magazine. Famous chef, Raymond Blanc, provided the recipes for the chicken, slow-roasted veg and potato puree (or mash to you and me), and it all worked wonderfully. I followed it with Gary Rhodes's bread and butter pudding, meringues and baked pears. And I have to say it all tasted delicious!


Husband's cocktails went down well too, especially with George who managed to sample some pina colada and martini. Not to mention my shoe.
* * * * * * * * *
I decided to make meringues as the b&b pudding called for 8 egg yolks.
One of our presents to Daughter was Ben & Jerry's Homemade Ice Cream & Dessert Book. When she opened it on Christmas morning she said, 'You gave me this last year!'
We swapped as I'd been given two copies of Cranford so all worked out well. (This is leading somewhere, don't worry.)
But I was flicking through the Ben & Jerry book this morning and found this wonderful piece of advice about using up spare egg whites.
Ben says: I put them in a covered bowl and store them in the refrigerator. After a month I throw them out.
Now that's my sort of cook!!
xx

3 comments:

Leslie: said...

Those shoes remind me of when Robbie destroyed a few pairs of mine plus those of a few visitors before we started putting them all away in the closet.

Unknown said...

Happy New Year, Liz! May blessings to you!

May love and laughter light your days,
and warm your heart and home.
May good and faithful friends be yours,
wherever you may roam.
May peace and plenty bless your world
with joy that long endures.
May all life's passing seasons
bring the best to you and yours!

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Ooops - I just commented and it went! Said that's my sort of cook, too. George is developing sophisticated tastes, I see - even in shoes!