Monday, January 14, 2008

Truth or fact?

Chris and Alun, otherwise known as Morecambe and Wise (or Rod Hull and Emu though who is working whom is yet to be determined), were speaking this morning. At one point Chris threw the meeting open for people to express their thoughts on bringing up children. Do we 'indoctrinate' them, insist on them going to church etc, or do we go to the other extreme of deliberately avoiding anything that would smack of telling them what to think? There were all sorts of views expressed including those of one woman who vehemently believed that it was our duty to tell our children the truth.

Chris retorted (retorted? No, retorted isn't too strong a word) something along the lines of there being a difference between truth and fact. The truth we believe, we can't claim as fact.

I am so glad I am part of church where it's okay, in almost every case, for my truth to be different from that even of the person who is sitting next to me of a Sunday morning.

2 comments:

Leslie: said...

I know what you mean, Liz. I'm going to a new members class on Thursday & at first, I was hesitant to go and commit myself. My membership will simply be a transfer from one church to this one, though. But for many years, I've questioned lots of doctrine and what our church proclaims as the "truth." I believe it to be my truth, but I also believe that those of other religions teach their own "truth." I know I'm supposed to be evangelical and and teach & proclaim mine as the "only truth." But I just can't make myself do that. However, because I do believe in my church's beliefs and that it truly is the truth, I feel okay about becoming a voting member of this church. Any church that openly allows people to question is okay in my book. And so, next Sunday I will officially become a member of Grace Baptist Church.

Liz Hinds said...

We don't have membership as such. I am very glad you've found a church that allows you to question and oubt and that you can be at home in.