Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Concise or too brief?

I've always been a concise writer. It's my style. I've had problems in the past writing enough words to meet story competition criteria. They want 1300-1500; my story's finished at 900. I fill it out with waffle and hence I don't win.

I'm not good at descriptive writing. My writing is sparse perhaps?

I was thinking about this when we were walking. I write my blog posts carefully, often composing them in my head before I get anywhere near a computer. But, sometimes, I wonder if I say enough. I know what I mean but is it clear to a reader?

In an earlier post I wrote about newspaper headlines. I finished the post with one word: Nice. I know what I meant by that but should I have explained it more?

I could have said this.

I am disgusted with both the press and the mother. The press because Diana is dead but her sons are alive; the mother because if her daughter were a whore maybe it was because she was searching for the love that had been missing from her life from her childhood onwards.

Is that what you read into my 'Nice'?

8 comments:

Leslie: said...

That's exactly what I read into it, Liz. When I taught writing to my school kids, I always told them that sometimes more is too much and less is just right. I feel it's good to keep 'em wanting more. So no need to worry or question yourself - it's your style - and I for one enjoy it. So there! ;D

Mauigirl said...

Yes, that "nice" pretty much said it all. I have the opposite problem - I blather on. I have had to learn how to be concise!

You are in good company; after all, Hemingway wrote very plainly without a lot of description. I'm more like Dickens I guess!

jmb said...

Absolutely, with just the right tone I think. Nothing wrong with sparse writing. You certainly are not sparse in output here.

Anonymous said...

Loquacity bores.

MissKris said...

So you compose in your head before you write, eh? Me, I just sit down and let whatever's in my head flow thru my fingers onto the computer screen. I dunno if it's good or bad, but the results suit me most of the time. Everyone has their own style, their own voice, in writing. I think mine comes out exactly as it's "wording up" in my head. I have the luxury of being a fast typist so the thoughts don't have time to build up as a log jam in my brain. I'm sometimes too wordy. Sometimes not. Depends on the mood I'm in, I guess. But you, Liz...the reason I stop here on an almost-daily basis is because I LOVE your style. Your sense of humor, your dry wit, amuses me to no end. And I have no trouble reading between the lines...you get your point across just fine.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

I like your writing style, too.

And yes, that's exactly what I read into your "nice". Totally agree.

fools' cap said...

On the Hemingway note...

This might be legend thrice removed but Hemingway is supposed to have said this was his best story.

"For sale: baby shoes, never worn."

That's a concise story.

Liz Hinds said...

Maria, I've heard that story too. Heartbreaking, isn't it?

Thank you all. I read and enjoy your various styles too!

Now I have to look up 'loquacity'! Right, okay, thank you.