Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Unconditional love

An interesting theological discussion nearly took place in Zac's last night. Blossom is of the opinion that you can ask for forgiveness in advance. ''Look, December's coming up. I'm going to drink too much and do things I shouldn't. Doesn't it make sense to get my sorries in first?'

There's not a lot you can say to that, hence the discussion nearly but didn't take place.

What was discussed more was the idea of loving one's self. Jesus tells us to love God and to love our neighbour as our selves. If I don't love myself, how can I love my neighbour? Occasionally this is taken to extremes and becomes arrogance but I think that there are far more Christians who struggle to love themselves. Even those who seem most secure and confident often have deep-seated hatred - or certainly dislike - for themselves.

This can be the result of upbringing, of never being shown love, of being constantly put down, or of an experience of 'love' of the most vile kind.

Or it can be an awareness of sin in one's life and not being able to totally comprehend and accept God's forgiveness. Not being able to quite believe that God can love someone so imperfect. Which is the crux of Christianity.

Grace. A just God giving us what we don't deserve (forgiveness, love) and not giving us what we do deserve (punishment). I know it's something I haven't properly grasped yet; I struggle with liking myself - because I know what I'm really like.

Deni did a neat summing-up of what God's love is that included the word 'unconditional'. That's the difference. God knows what I'm really like and still he loves me. If only I could believe that.
xx

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well I understand that - I don't like myself much at all a lot of the time. I have dubious motives for a lot of what I do and I and self deceptive to a high degree.... I mean I might only be posting this on your blog in order to make myself seem deep so I can flirt with you... *winks* I am not even sure myself...

Liz Hinds said...

That's the trouble: I always know why I am doing something and most often my motives are wrong.

I already know you are deep, Mutley, in spite of evidence to the contrary!

Leslie: said...

I so understand that. Sometimes I think God will strike me down and roar, "I know what you're REALLY like!"