Wednesday, November 14, 2007

I didn't get lost

On Sunday we went to Hampton Court Palace, just up the river from Richmond. Originally it was the home of Cardinal Wolsey, but he gave it to Henry VIII.

Hampton Court has two Guinness World records: one for the oldest vine in the world and one for the oldest maze. Planted by Capability Brown in 1768, the vine still produces hundreds of pounds of grapes each year, and they're sold to visitors to the palace. Now I think about it, the vine itself may have two records: it may also have the longest recorded branch.


The photo shows me with Elder Son and Daughter-in-law at the centre of the maze. I'd like to say that it was my navigating that took us there but I just followed. I get a bit anxious in mazes.
From the website: The famous Astronomical Clock made for Henry VIII in 1540 by Nicholas Oursian, Devisor of the King's Horologies (clocks) shows the hour, month, day, number of days since the beginning of the year, the phases of the moon and the time of high water at London Bridge - vital information in the days when tides governed travel to and from the palace. The sun revolves around the earth as the clock was designed before the discoveries of Galileo and Copernicus.
It's currently been taken down while repairs to the tower go on.

xx

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you had such a fab time, Liz. Did you see Eel Island? I'm fascinated by the place but unlikely to get there now.

Gledwood said...

Hampton Ct is a lovely place isn't it...

I've never been to Eel Pie island either I heard they used to throw rock concerts there (or maybe just throw rocks)

Anonymous said...

Anxious in mazes?

And not without reason.

Once we were half way throgh Leed Castle maze when a vicious storm came up, and us without coats or brollies. Lickily a local from the castle came running over and ran through the maze picking up everyone and having us follow him out. We still got soaked, but at least not hit by lightning!

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

To my shame, I've never been there. Glad you had such a great time.